If you are having problems logging into the BLE and/or accessing and viewing resources within it, please have a look at the information below. If you can’t find what you need here, or are still having problems, please email BLE Support at email@example.com.
Remember: general password issues are dealt with by the IT Service Desk, not the BLE support team. If you have forgotten your network password or are having problems accessing the SOAS network, please contact the IT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are located in the Library reception.
General problem-solving checklist
- It is a good idea to check your computer is set up correctly and has the common applications needed to access and view resources on the BLE. If you can connect to the BLE, but features of the system are not working, you should check your browser to see whether your computer is correctly set up by using the links on this page. You'll be taken to an external site, your PC/Mac will be checked and a Results screen will appear shortly afterwards. Results will appear in Red, Orange or Green, depending upon the action required. Links are usually given to sites to download up-to-date copies of free software.
- Having ensured that your web browser is correctly setup, make sure that other software is not overriding your settings: for instance, browser toolbars (such as Google or Yahoo!) or your computer’s internet security software.
- Clear all Temporary Internet files in your browser.
- Ensure that your web browser is allowing pop-ups.
- Ensure that your computer has the correct time and date set and is configured for the correct time zone.
The BLE is accessible with either a PC or a Mac. However, Mac users should note the following:
- The recommended browser with the BLE is Firefox, not Safari.
- The Equation Editor on the BLE (which enables users to use mathematical and scientific notation and to add and edit equations) is usually not available. However, try disabling the Visual Text Box Editor (the box into which you enter text when you add a discussion post, an email, or course content) under Personal Information.
- If you are still having problems entering text into a field, try restarting your browser.
The following are the most common error messages when trying to log in to the BLE, and their possible causes.
Could not login. Valid authentication credentials were not provided.
You have entered an incorrect username and/or password. Check the details and remember passwords are case-sensitive. Make sure you are using the same password that you use to access all other SOAS services – if you change this password your BLE password will also change. If you have forgotten your password, please contact the IT Service Desk at email@example.com.
Error Occurred while the system was processing this login request.
Your username details are not correct or your BLE account has not been created yet. Check you are entering the characters correctly: student usernames are your six digit student ID without @soas.ac.uk after it. If this fails, contact BLE Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access Denied - your access to the system has been disabled.
This is unusual but means your account has been blocked. Please contact the BLE helpdesk at email@example.com.
An Error Occurred in the authentication module: Error occurred while trying to lookup the current session in the database.
Your browser cookies are blocked. A cookie is information that a Web site puts on your computer so that it can remember something about you at a later time. You need to enable cookies to be able to access the BLE.
Make sure you also complete the browser setup correctly and/or add the BLE URL to your 'safe/trusted sites' list.
Some Internet Explorer users may see a "Forbidden 403" or a security warning and not be able to access their files. Try adding the URL to the Security tab or use another browser.
HTTP Status 403, description: Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.
It is likely that your Browser settings need to be changed. Please carefully complete the following and try logging-in again.
In Internet Explorer (PC):
- Click on the Tools menu.
- Click on Internet Options.
- Within the Security Tab...
- Click on the Trusted Sites icon.
- Click on the Sites button.
- Type the URL (http://www.ble.ac.uk/) into the text field.
- Click on the Add button.
- Click on the OK button
No authentication credentials were provided with the request.
No error message is shown but nothing happens when you click on the Login button.
This problem is usually caused by Internet security software: it may be set to block cookies from the BLE. Try changing the settings to accept cookies from the BLE. Also, try using another PC elsewhere to confirm if the problem is with your PC - if still nothing happens, contact BLE Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.