Want to help your students get the most out of their course? Would you like your students to have discipline-specific study skills guidance?
The LTD works closely with departments to provide Academic Study Skills sessions at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Our trained Study Support staff work together with course convenors and lecturers to establish what their students need and to tailor the session(s) to their disciplines.
We offer a range of skills-training students need in order to excel, including:
- Essay and dissertation writing
- Reading for research/writing
- Presentation skills
- Exam and revision strategies
- How to avoid plagiarism
Benefits of these sessions may include:
- Quicker rate of adjustment to the standard of work expected at university level.
- Engenders good academic practice among students from the start
- Higher retention rates among first year undergraduates.
- Avoiding unnecessary summertime stress by helping students (particularly Postgraduates) start their preparation early.
These sessions are embedded into core introductory courses and can be arranged to take place before reading week in Term 1 to help prepare the students for their first essay. They take up only an hour of the curriculum time and benefit the students in terms of improving their academic capabilities and informing them of what is expected. This way attendance is more likely and it avoids potential timetable clashes for both students and lecturers.
If you would like to take advantage of this support, please contact Heidi Ward or on 0207 898 4553.