This project enables the development of specially-tailored packages of web-based language-learning materials for self-learning to support existing modules and taught sessions.
Flexi-Packs have been developed for the following languages:
- Bengali (Beginner)
- Japanese (J1 - Accelerated Elementary)
- Nepali (Level 1 and Beginner)
- Romanian (Level 2 and MA)
- Turkish (Beginner and Lower Intermediate)
Aims and Objectives
A key objective of the CETL is to support blended language learning (i.e. using face-to-face and multimedia approaches). The original bid and a survey of current language teaching at SOAS and UCL suggests that there is a great need to develop specially-tailored packages of web-based language-learning materials for self-learning to support existing modules and taught sessions. The combination of existing modules and Flexi-Packs will create an integrated approach to teaching and learning, maximising the opportunities for successful language learning.
The pedagogical rationale behind the Flexi-Packs is to establish stepping stones on the road to autonomy by:
- integrating the Flexi-Packs into the course programme;
- facilitating access to self-study;
- maximising the use of university facilities;
- promoting autonomy and learner empowerment;
- providing opportunities for collaborative learning;
- being user-friendly for both staff and students.
Products, Outputs & Outcomes
Each course unit comprises a series of taught sessions focusing on a variety of topics and language skills. The Flexi-Packs are designed to supplement those sessions by providing students with specially-tailored materials to support their learning. Each Flexi-Pack will contain a downloadable text file and related audio files. Each file may contain:
- a range of learning activities (including the answers);
- a written task to hand-in to the tutor;
- a reference with key vocabulary, grammar points and learning tips;
- links to websites and other resources.
Students will be able to use the Flexi-Packs at university, at home or “on the go”, using their own MP3 players. The Flexi-Packs can easily be integrated into the existing Virtual Learning Environments.