28 February 2018
SOAS University of London has risen among the world’s elite institutions in the 2018 QS World University Rankings with four of its subject areas across a broad range of disciplines ranked amongst the world’s top 25.
Development Studies at SOAS is now ranked in the world’s top five at 4th (up from 7th in 2017 and 11th in 2016) making it 1st in London.
Dr Michael Jennings, Head of the Department of Development Studies at SOAS said: “We are delighted by the news that the Department of Development Studies at SOAS has emerged as the 4th best development studies department in the world in the 2018 QS World University Subject Rankings for Development Studies. We welcome the news, but it does not change our commitment to the core of our purpose: research, teaching and contributing to global public debates on international development”
“The QS rankings have a particular focus on the level and impact of research, and combine a peer assessment by academics across the world of which departments are the most significant in their discipline, with consideration of the number of citations of work produced by a department and its impact.
Other highlights include:
- Politics ranked 4th in the UK and 23 in the world
- Anthropology (16) and Study of Religions (19) ranked 5th in the UK and in world's top 25 (a rise from 23 and 22 in 2017 respectively)
- History ranked 8th in the UK and features in the world’s top 50 at 35 (39 in 2017)
- Arts and Humanities in UK's top 10 (ranked 9)
- Social Sciences and Management listed in the top 200 in the world.
The 2018 QS rankings survey more than 4,400 institutions across the world and rank over 1,100 in its subject listings.