7 September 2020
The international conference Collect & Connect: Archives and Collections in a Digital Age will be held online from 23 - 24 November 2020
Join us and share your knowledge!
This conference welcomes papers that present, discuss, and reflect upon the technical, social, and institutional challenges that experts and researchers in the field of digital heritage encounter when enriching heterogeneous digitized collections with context. Think of handwritten and physical collections (field books interspersed with images, labels on scanned physical objects, 3D scans of objects in the domain of natural and cultural heritage).
How to interpret handwritten archives with textual and visual elements
Many handwritten archives and collections of physical objects in the realms of natural history, archaeology, history, art history and science entail combinations of textual and visual elements whose interpretation requires a range of different expertise and computational technologies.
The challenge: heterogeneous character of digitized collections and archives
In recent years, libraries, archives and museums have spent major efforts on annotating and enriching their digitized collections with contextual information, in order to make them retrievable and interlinked in novel ways. Often institutions aim to enhance their reach and relevance for broader user groups. A major challenge in the field is the heterogeneous character of many such digital archives and collections.
About the conference
- Officially concludes the NWO/Brill Creative Industries Project Making Sense of Illustrated Handwritten Archives and presents the results of finished and original research in the field of digitized archives and natural and cultural heritage collections.
- Aims to promote exchange and discussion between researchers and heritage professionals in the field of digital natural and cultural heritage.
This conference is for you if you’re an expert in the field of:
- Digital Humanities
- Digital, Cultural and Natural Heritage
- Digital Collection and Archives Curation
- Semantic Data Integration
- Is this conference not for you? Forward this mailing to anyone you know who might be interested.
For more details see:
Follow Naturalis Biodiversity Center on Twitter for updates on the conference.
The Organizing Committee