SOAS University of London

Disabled Students Allowance

17 June 2014

If you are a UK student and have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, extra help is available in the form of Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). This is not means-tested and does not have to be paid back.

If you have already been receiving the DSA please remember you will need to apply again for 2014/15. If you are coming to SOAS in September for the first time please do apply for the DSA in plenty of time, it really helps if you have it in place before you start. 

Student Finance England application forms are available now Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) . For other funding bodies see the websites of Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland, Student Awards Agency Scotland.  

  • Undergraduates who are full-time and also getting 'core' student finance (loan/grant): tick the DSA box on your student loan application form. First-time applicants will be sent the DSA1 slim application form; continuing students do not need to do a separate DSA application and their DSA will be automatically renewed,   However, if you have missed ticking that box then you should fill in the slim form.
  • Everyone else: you should fill in the DSA1 full form every year and this needs to be countersigned by us - if you complete and send it to us with your evidence we can sign and post it to Student Finance England (or other funding body).

If you need any advice please contact Caroline, the disability administrator, on