2 May 2013
It is with great sadness that we note the death of Professor William R. Roff (Professorial Research Associate) on 2 May 2013. Here is a reminder of some of his major works (courtesy of Paul Kratoska, Publishing Director, NUS Press).
- Studies on Islam and society in Southeast Asia NUS Press, 2009, pp. xvii, 354
- The Origins of Malay Nationalism. By William R. Roff. Yale University Press: New Haven and London, 1967. Pp. xx + 297 2nd edition: Oxford University Press, 1994 pp. xxviii, 303, 2nd ed.
Translation: Nasionalisma Melayu: Penerbit Universiti Malaya, 1975
- Kelantan: Religion, Society and Politics in a Malay State . William R. Roff. ; Peasant Citizens: Politics, Religion, and Modernization in Kelantan, Malaysia xix, 371 pp., front. Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1974.
- Customary Law, Islamic Law, and Colonial Authority: Three Contrasting Case Studies and their aftermath. Islamic Studies. Publisher: International Islamic University, 2010 Volume 49 Issue 4 Pages 455 - 462 In Search of Southeast Asia: A Modern History. Edited by David J. Steinberg. David K. Wyatt, John R. W. Smail, Alexander Woodside, William R. Roff, and David P. Chandler contributors. New York: Praeger, 1971. xii, 522 pp. Illustrations, Appendix, Notes, Glossary, Bibliography, Index
- Revised edition: The Emergence of Modern Southeast Asia. Ed. Norman Owen. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press and Singapore: Singapore University Press, 2005.
- Islam and the Political Economy of Meaning: Comparative Studies of Muslim Discourse (ed.) University of California Press; Croom Helm, 1987 295 pp.
- Nasehat: Distance and Authority in a Malay Sultanate. Journal of the Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 2012, Volume 85 Issue 2 Pages 99 - 102
- On Going into the Field. Journal of the Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society 2012 Volume 85 Issue 2, Pages 103 ? 109 DOI 10.1353/ras.2012.0003
- Public Art, Nationalism and National Unification in Malaya/Malaysia. Journal of the Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. 2011 Volume 85 Issue 1. Pages 99 - 100
- Onomastics, and Taxonomies of Belonging in the Malay Muslim World 1 Journal of Islamic Studies Date 09/2007 Volume 18 Issue 3 Pages 386 ? 405 DOI 10.1093/jis/etm031
- Southeast Asia. Studies on Islam and society in Southeast Asia (by Michael Laffan and William R Roff) Journal of Southeast Asian Studies 06/2010 Volume 41 Issue 2 DOI
- The Mystery of the first Malay Novel (and who was Rokambul?) Bijdragen tot de taal-, land- en volkenkunde 1974 Volume 130 Issue 4. Pages 450 - 464
- Kerjasama dan koperasi di Semenanjung, 1910-1941: petikan dari bahan-bahan terbitan sezaman Penerbit Universiti Malaya, 1984
- Bibliography of Malay and Arabic periodicals published in the straits settlements and peninsular Malay states 1876-1941: with an annotated union list of holdings in Malaysia, Singapore and the United Kingdom. Oxford University Press 1972 (London oriental bibliographies Volume
3). Pages (7), 74
- Autobiography & biography in Malay historical studies Occasional paper / Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 1972 Volume no. 13, 21 pp.
- Guide to Malay periodicals 1876-1941, with details of known holdings in Malaya Papers on Southeast Asian subjects/Dept. of History, University of Malaya Eastern Universities Press, 1961
Volume no. 4, Pages , 46
- Sejarah surat2 khabar Melayu Siri monograf (Universiti Malaya. Persekutuan Bahasa Melayu)
Publisher: Saudara Sinaran Berhad, 1967 Volume no. 1, 41 pp. Indonesian and Malay Students in Cairo in the 1920's Indonesia (Southeast Asia Program Publications at Cornell University), 04/1970 Issue 9 Pages 73 - 87
- The Persatuan Melayu Selangor: An Early Malay Political Association Journal of Southeast Asian History 03/1968 Volume 9 Issue 1 Pages 117 - 146 DOI 10.1017/S0217781100003653
- Islam and the Political Economy of Meaning: Comparative Studies of Muslim Discourse. Edited by William R. Roff. Comparative Studies on Muslim Societies. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1987. 295 pp.
- The Malayo-Muslim World of Singapore at the Close of the Nineteenth Century, The Journal of Asian Studies 11/1964 Volume 24 Issue 1 Pages 75 - 90 DOI 10.2307/2050415
- Southeast Asian research tools: Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei by Roff, William R and Koch, Margaret L University of Hawaii (Honolulu). Southeast Asian Studies Program 1979 Volume no. 16, pt. 4. 61 pp.
- The Wandering Thoughts of a Dying Man: The Life and Times of Haji Abdul Majid bin Zainuddin. Edited with an introduction and notes by William R. Roff. Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press (Oxford in Asia Historical Memoirs), 1978. xvi, 169 pp. Bibliography, Index.
- Carving the Path to the Summit. By Ahmad Boestamam. Translated with an introduction by William R. Roff. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press (Southeast Asia Translation Series No. 2), 1979. 180 pp. Notes, Index.
- Whence Cometh the Law? Dog Saliva in Kelantan, 1937 Comparative Studies in Society and History Date 04/1983 Volume 25 Issue 2 Pages 323 - 338 DOI 10.1017/S0010417500010458
- Transcending borders: Arabs, politics, trade and Islam in Southeast Asia by Jonge, Huub de; Kaptein, N. J. G; Mohammad Redzuan Othman; Roff, William R; Freitag, Ulrike Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde (Netherlands) and International Institute of
Asian Studies (Netherlands). Series Proceedings / Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde. International Workshop on South-East Asian Studies, 1997, 12th, Leiden, Netherlands Publisher KITLV Press 2002
- Southeast Asia Research Tools. 9 vols. Directed by Shiro Saito. IV: Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei. By William R. Roff, with the assistance of Margaret L. Koch. Honolulu: University of Hawaii, Asian
Studies Program (Southeast Asian Studies, no. 16), 1979.
- Southeast Asia in the twentieth century: a reader by Christie, Clive J; Roff, William R; Allen, Louis; Tan Cheng Lock, Tun Dato' Sir; Rajaratnam, S; Huxley, Tim. I.B. Tauris Publishers,
1998, 350 pp.
- An argument about how to argue? (in Islamic Legal Interpretation: Muftis and their Fatwas, Harvard University Press, 1996)
- Patterns of Islamisation in Malaysia, 1890s-1990s: exemplars, institutions and vectors? (Journal of Islamic Studies (Oxford) 1998)
- Social science approaches to understanding religious ritual: the special case of the hajj? (in Malaysia: Islam, Society and Politics, ISEAS, Singapore, 2001)
- Murder as an aid to social history: the Arab community in Singapore in the early twentieth century? (in Transcending Borders: Arabs, Politic, Trade and Islam in Southeast Asia, KITLV, Leiden, 2002)
- Pondoks, madrasas and the production of 'ulama in Malaysia' (Studia Islamika (Jakarta), 2004)
- The Ins and Outs of Hadrami journalism in Malaya, 1900-1941: assimilation or identity maintenance?? (in Proceedings, International Conference on Yemeni-Hadramis in Southeast Asia, Kuala Lumpur, 2005)
- "Functions of the Internet in a Sectarian Islamic Context," in ISIM Review (Leiden), numero 15, Spring 2005, pp. 50.
- Sanitation and security: the imperial powers and the nineteenth century hajj (Arabian Studies (Cambridge) 1982)