This certificate is complementary to the full-time Certificate in Arabic. It is designed for those unable to follow a full-time programme and those interested in a different balance of language and non-language based courses. No prior knowledge of Arabic is required.
This is a part-time programme of study. Four units are taken over two or three years.
In year 2 students take Arabic 200 and a second approved course from the list below.
One unit can be left to a third year of study if desired; a third year of Arabic is available for this purpose, Arabic 300.
- Introduction to Arabic culture
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East
- Music of the Middle East and North Africa
- Art and material culture of the Islamic world
- Mosaics, manuscripts and wall-paintings in Islamic art
- Introduction to the history of the Near and Middle East
* Please note that not every unit may be available every year.
Courses are taught during the day. Teaching begins in late September. Examinations are in May-June
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings
Start of programme: September
Mode of Attendance: Part-time
- The minimum entry requirement is the ability to demonstrate the potential to study at undergraduate level. However, programmes may have their own specific requirements, such as, in the case of language-based studies, a proven ability to learn a language.
- 2 or 3 years
- UK/EU fees:
- Overseas fees:
Fees for 2019/20 entrants. Please note that fees go up each year. Further details can be found in the Fees and Funding tab on this page or in the Undergraduate Tuition Fees page
Dr Mustafa Shah Convenor