Department of the Languages and Cultures of the Near and Middle East
Certificate in Turkish (2018 entry)
Select year of entry: 2018
- Teaching and Learning
- Fees and funding
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings
Start of programme: September
Mode of Attendance: Full-time or Part-time
The NME department offers a short programme of study in Turkish that leads to the award of a certificate. The syllabus consists of four course units. These units are courses that are available on the single-honours BA programme in Turkish. The options available on the Certificate syllabus are typically as follows:
- Elementary written Turkish
- Aspects of Turkish culture
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East
- Ottoman Turkish language*
- Twentieth-century Turkish literature I*
- Twentieth-century Turkish literature II*
- Turkish literature of the Tanzimat and late nineteenth century*
- Introduction to Islam (subject to permission from Dept of Study of Religions)
- Elementary written Persian
* courses marked with an asterisk require good prior knowledge of Turkish
All the courses above are valued at 1 course unit each.
Full-time syllabus (one year)
Students take four approved courses from the list of available options.
Part-time syllabus (two or three years)
Students spread the four approved courses that are required to be completed for the Certificate over two or three years.
Courses are taught during the day. Teaching begins in October. Examinations are in May-June.
|Literatures of the Near and Middle East||155900991||30||Full Year|
The following course require a good prior knowledge of Turkish
|Ottoman Turkish Language||155900549||30||Full Year|
The information on the programme page reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session. Please read the important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules.
Teaching and Learning
Fees and funding
How to apply
Applications are made directly to SOAS through the online application system, if you have any further questions please contact the Admissions Department on email@example.com