For podcasts of previous Politics departmental seminars and events, see SOAS Politics Soundcloud.
- Marriage on the Road to Equality: A Taiwan Story
Professor Chen Chao-ju 陳昭如
- Urban Displacements: Governing Surplus and Survival in Global Capitalism
Susanne Soederberg (Queen’s University, Ontario)
- Thinking the Border Otherwise: Survival and Solidarity
Nivi Manchanda (Queen Mary University, London), Discussant: Rahul Rao
- Director Shih Ho Feng 施合峰 Director's Q&A Session: "The Scenery Through the Smog 風從哪裡來"
Director Shih Ho Feng 施合峰
- Book Launch: "Civil Society and the State in Democratic East Asia: Between Entanglement and Contention in Post High Growth"
Simona Grano, Mary Alice Haddad, Tobias Weiss, Tommy Chung Yin Kwan, Dafydd Fell
- Director Ho Chao-ti Director's Q&A Session: "County Road 184 縣道184之東"
Director Ho Chao-ti
- “Greening Taiwan Communities": Narratives from the new volume, Greening East Asia: the Rise of the Eco-Developmental State
Stevan Harrell, Lin Hui-nien, Chiu Hua-mei and Ashley Esarey
- Book Talk: "Dynamics of Democracy in Taiwan: The Ma Ying-jeou Years"
Kharis Templeman, Min-hua Huang, Mark Weatherall, Eric Chen-hua Yu, Jia-sin Yu, Dafydd Fell
- Building Politics: Urban Transformation and (Un)Making Markets in Istanbul and Cairo
Sarah El-Kazaaz. Discussant: Matt Eagleton-Pierce
- Book Discussion on ‘Aid Imperium: United States Foreign Policy and Human Rights in Post-Cold War Southeast Asia’
Salvador Regilme, Discussant: Steve Heder (SOAS)
- Book Launch: China’s Influence and the Centre-periphery Tug of War in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Indo-Pacific
Andrew J. Nathan, Wu Jieh-min
- Agrarian change in the Chao Phraya delta (1950-2020)
- Book Launch: The Colonizing Self, by Hagar Kotef
The Colonizing Self explores the cultural, political, and theoretical apparatuses that enable people and nations to construct a home on the ruins of other people’s homes or to feel that they belong to spaces of dispossession.
- Book Launch: Taiwan’s Economic and Diplomatic Challenges and Opportunities: Experiences of Publishing SOAS Postgraduate Student Research
Chen Nai-chia and Mariah Thornton
- Book Launch: Taiwan's Economic and Diplomatic Challenges and Opportunities
Mariah Thornton, Robert Ash, Michael Reilly, Richard Bush, Lin Kun-chin, Lee Chun-yi, Dafydd Fell, Jan Knoerich
- Writing books about Green Parties: Taiwan, Canada, Germany and Japan
Arne Jungjohann, James Marshall, Keli Yen, Dafydd Fell, Rikiya Adachi and Cara Camcastle
- Environmental movements in Taiwan’s Anthropocene: a civic eco-nationalism
Paul Jobin (Academia Sinica)
- “Public Scholarship” / “Writing Taiwan for a General Audience”
Sam Robbins, Brian Hioe, and Emily Y. Wu
- Publishing in Taiwan Studies: Meet the Book Series Editors
Niki Alsford (Brill Series in Taiwan Studies), Michael Cannings (Camphor Press), Dafydd Fell (Routledge Research on Taiwan Series), Nikky Lin (Springer Sinophone and Taiwan Studies & Cambria Taiwan Literature Series)
- TPNWCP Framing Intersectionality in the Works of Post-New Cinema Female Directors in Taiwan
Dr. Wang Chun-Chi (Director of the Taiwan Film and Audiovisual Institute)
- General and Complete Disarmament as a Near Term Objective Without UN Reform
Dr. Dan Plesch
General and Complete Disarmament: Contemporary Perspectives on World Peace Through World Law.
- Book Talk: Green Parties in Taiwan: Alternative Politics in Taiwan
Speaker: Dr. Dafydd Fell; Discussants: Dr Michael Albert (SOAS), Adrian Chiu (SOAS)
- “Enlightening” Taiwan: Communicating Knowledge as/in Social Activism in the Post-Sunflower Era
Speakers: Chia-Yu Liang, Po-Han Lee, Bo-Yi Lee
- Book Launch: Taiwan's Contemporary Indigenous Peoples
Speakers: Niki J.P. Alsford (University of Central Lancashire), Chang Bi-yu (SOAS), Dafydd Fell (SOAS), Kerim Friedman (National Dong Hwa University), Scott Simon (University of Ottawa)
- How Does Guanxi Shape Democracy? Evidence from Taiwan
Speaker: Wang Tao
- Book Launch of Politics and Cultural Nativism in 1970s Taiwan
Speaker: A-chin Hsiau
- Talk: Performing Checkpoints, Effecting the State: Ethnographic Reflections from Baghdad
Speaker: Dr. Omar Sirri; Discussants: Prof. Hagar Kotef (SOAS) and Dr. Sarah El-Kazaz (SOAS)
- Book Launch of Democracy and Rule of Law in China's Shadow
Speakers: Jimmy Chia-Shin Hsu, Brian Christopher Jones, Kuan Hsiaowei
- Will/How Will Capitalism Collapse?
- Talk: Emerging Powers, Falling Stars: Brazil and Turkey in the 21st Century
Speaker: Dr. Karabekir Akkoyunlu (SOAS)
- The Political Economy of Digital Infrastructures
Sarah El-Kazaz (SOAS)
- The spatial dimensions of Taiwan’s Sunflower and Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movements
Speaker: Leon N. Kunz
- Talk: Making Problems, Policies and National Constitutions: Decolonising United Nations Constitutional Assistance (UNCA)
Speaker: Dr. Amelia Odida (SOAS)