Visiting Scholars and Associates
Each year the Department of Politics and International Studies receives visitors who wish to associate their work with the Department, contribute to the academic life of the Department, and be located at SOAS to take advantage of its existing research culture and its excellent library holdings.
The School currently offers three kinds of associations: Visiting Scholar, Research Associates and Senior Fellow. For further information on each category, please see Honorary Appointments.
Interested applicants are asked to review the guidance below and submit an application to the Department’s Research Tutor, Dr Fiona Adamson (email@example.com).
1. Visiting Scholar
An application to become a Visiting Scholar should consist of:
- Cover letter including proposed dates and duration of requested visit
- Research proposal using the Guidelines for Research Project Outline (pdf; 182kb) ;
- Curriculum vitae including list of publications.
Applications will be approved by the Head of Department in coordination with the Department’s Research Tutor and the proposed mentor.
A Bench Fee of £220 per month, or £2640 for the year is applicable and paid via the SOAS Online Store.
Visiting Scholars currently associated with the Department
2. Research Associates
An application for the status of Professorial/Research Associate should consist of:
- A written request outlining proposed duration of the requested affiliation and time expected to be spent in London, and how the applicant will contribute to the Department’s activities and benefit from association with the Department
- A research proposal detailing the scope of the research to be carried out during the period of association with the Department
- A curriculum vitae including list of publications.
An application for the status of Post Doctoral Associate should consist of:
- Cover letter outlining the rationale for being affiliated with the Department
- Research proposal
- Curriculum vitae
Applications approved by the Head of Department will be sent to the Dean of Faculty and presented to Faculty Board for final approval.
A list of current Research Associates is on our Staff page.
Successful applicants will:
- Be assigned to a mentor within the department as the first point of contact;
- Contribute to seminar series and/or research cluster activities;
- Contribute to additional departmental activities as appropriate;
- Acknowledge on any publications which are published during the period of Research Associateship their professional link with the Department.
3. Senior Fellows
The Senior Fellow association is granted by the School, please see Senior Fellows for further information.
Externally Funded Postdoctoral Schemes
The Department is open to hosting post-doctoral researchers receiving external funding through schemes offered by, for instance, the European Union, the British Academy, Leverhulme, or the Economic Social and Research Council (ESRC).
Eligibility, application process and terms of affiliation for successful applicants varies with the funding body. However, individuals usually need to have an academic mentor in the Department who supports the application. Early in the process prospective applicants should therefore identify and contact a suitable member of staff with the following information:
- Cover letter outlining the rationale for being affiliated with the Department and information about the funding scheme considered
- Research proposal
- Curriculum vitae
For some schemes, such as Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships and ESRC Future Leaders, SOAS sends out a call once a year with instructions how to apply. Please contact the SOAS Research Office for further information.
A list of Post Doctoral Associates is on our Staff page.