The REF Key Experts are available for media appearances. Please email Idil Osman on firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
11 September 2018 REF-ODI Study on Darfur in the Media
The joint study by the Research and Evidence Facility and Overseas Development Institute has been featured on BBC's Newsday. The study relates that significant numbers of Darfuri migrants have made the journey from Sudan to Europe in search of safety and a better life. While there has been significant interest in Sudan as a transit country for migration from Africa to Europe, little attention has been paid to Sudan as a source of migrants and refugees. This study documents for the first time the experiences of young Darfuris fleeing Sudan for Europe. Listen to Newsday's interview with Margie Buchanan-Smith, one of the two lead researchers.
The two lead researchers, Margie Buchanan-Smith and Susanne Jaspars, have also produced an ODI blog challenging European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker’s State of the Union speech entitled 'A Europe that protects’, outlining plans for an additional 10,000 Frontex border guards. They call for attention to Europe’s other responsibility to ‘protect’, which is to offer protection to vulnerable migrants and refugees, as signatories to the 1951 International Refugee Convention.
- 9 August 2018 African Arguments publishes article by REF's Idil Osman on the dynamics of migration between the Horn and the Gulf countries
- 24 June 2018 Al Jazeera Newshour interviews REF's Idil Osman on the Yemeni conflict and impact on Horn migrants as well as working and living conditions of Horn migrants working in the Gulf states
- 3 June 2018 REF's Laura Hammond is interviewed by BBC Focus on Africa on latest migration from the Horn
- 4 April 2017 Radio Islam South Africa interviews REF's Idil Osman African migrants still traveling to Yemen
- 2 April 2017 Al Jazeera publishes article by REF's Idil Osman on Horn migrants continuing to travel to Yemen
- 23 March 2017 REF's Laura Hammond is interviewed for the World Weekly article on the Gulf of Aden's refugee routes, citing our work
- 23 March 2017 REF's Idil Osman is interviewed on TRTWorld discussing contemporary global migration
- 16 March 2017 ITV speaks to REF's Idil Osman about how our work can support donor communities to prevent drought in the future and help the most vulnerable communities in the Horn of Africa
- 10 March 2017 UCL's Education and Conflict Review features two articles by REF team members. One is by Laura Hammond discussing our research examining causes and dynamics of displacement , irregular migration and conflict in Somalia and the Horn of Africa. Another article by Idil Osman discusses the Somali diaspora and homeland relations. Both are featured in a special issue titled 'Education, Peace and Development in Somali Society'
- 22 February 2017 REF's Idil Osman does interview (in Somali) with Somali TV channel Universal on the purpose and scope of the REF
- 14 February 2017 SOAS newsletter features our work and it's impact on EU programming in the Horn of Africa
- 13 December 2016 TRTWorld interviews REF's Laura Hammond and Idil Osman on Somalia's past and future
For further information, contact:
Idil Osman on email@example.com