SOAS University of London


Request a Visa Letter/CAS for Tier 4 Visa

Current Students who are continuing with the same Programme of Study

If you require an extension of an existing student Visa for a continued programme of study at SOAS (not a new programme of study), then you will require a new Tier 4 Adult/General Student Visa. To qualify for a Tier 4 Adult/General Student Visa you will need to provide a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) number from SOAS. 

If you are a research student please follow the Doctoral School section of the website and complete the appropriate form.  

Other continuing students should complete Taught Student CAS application form.  You will be sent an email to your SOAS account once the CAS has been assigned to you, with all of the information you require. 

Make sure that you make your application well in advance of your permission running out – we would recommend you make your application at least 2 months before the date of expiry.

Please note:  If you are commencing a new course at SOAS, you must apply for your CAS through the School's relevant Admissions department.  Details can be found towards the bottom of this page.

Tier 1 Post Study Work Visa / Other Visas

In some circumstances, you may need to have a letter from SOAS to show staff at the Border that you are permitted to travel.  

This information is contained in the Enrolment Certificate which is produced for all new students at the start of the year and you should not require anything further than this.

However, should you need something for a specific Embassy, please request the Schengen Visa Letter using our online form

If you have any enquiries concerning your request, please email:

New Students or Current Students Who are Starting a New Programme of Study

New Tier 4 Adult/General Student Visa applications can only be processed when you have accepted an unconditional offer, when you have fulfilled all conditions of your offer, or when you are only required to attend the pre-sessional before your main programme commences. To qualify for a Tier 4 Adult/General Student Visa you will need to provide a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) number from SOAS. You should submit your request for a CAS by emailing the relevant Admissions team:


Further advice and guidance can be found at the International Student and Welfare Office. If you have any further queries please contact your respective Admissions Team:

Applications to UKVI can only be made three months in advance of your course start date. CAS numbers supplied by SOAS for the purposes of Tier 4 Visa applications are only valid for six months.