Student Finance Postgraduate Loans
Postgraduate students with UK and EU residency taking a Master's degree are eligible for a non-means-tested loan from Student Finance or SAAS. The loan will be a contribution towards the cost of study and can be used towards tuition fees, maintenance or other course costs. You repay this loan once you have left university and are earning over £21,000 per year.
The amount you can borrow varies depending on when your studies started, how long your degree is and where you live in the UK:
|For residents of England and Wales|
|Start of your degree||One year full time - maximum you can borrow||Two year degree - maximum you can borrow each year|
At SOAS, for September 2017,the Postgraduate Loans will be:
- for MSc, MA, MMus, and LLM degrees (on campus not distance learning)
- for full-time or part-time over 2 years (not 3 or 4 years part-time)
- up to £10,280 (up to £5,140 for each year of study on a 2-year degree)
Distance learning students
For specific information for distance learning students please click our Distance Learning funding page.
If you are studying at SOAS by distance learning as part of the University of London International Programme (ULIP) then please see www.londoninternational.ac.uk/distance-flexible-learning/funding-your-study/student-loans/postgraduate-loans/postgraduate-loans for information on how you can access these loans.
Eligibility for the Postgraduate Loan
Applicants for Postgraduate Loans (PGL) should be:
- UK nationals ordinarily resident in England or Wales*
- EU nationals ordinarily resident in England or Wales or the EU
- under 60 on 1 September preceding the start of the degree
- enrolling on their first Master’s degree and not have an equivalent or a higher level qualification
- commencing their Master’s degree after 1 August 2016
- enrolling for full-time study or part-time 2 year study
The applicant should have a valid National Insurance Number.
Full terms and conditions are available on the Student Finance website and eligibility is assessed by Student Finance.
*Residents of Scotland should apply directly to SAAS in the first instance. Please check the Student Finance website for information about Northern Ireland.
If you are eligible, please proceed to apply.
We recommend you bookmark this page as we may make further updates and clarifications.
Last update: 23 June 2017.
Please contact email@example.com for any queries regarding this page.