CKS (Centre of Korean Studies) Bursaries
Deadline: 3 May 2018
The Korean Studies Fund (EKSF) will fund a number of CKS (Centre of Korean Studies) bursaries for students undertaking a full-time postgraduate Korean Studies programme. The total budget available is a maximum of £18,000 for 2018-19. The value of each bursary is up to £6,000 for students classified as Oversseas for fee purposes and up to £3,000 for students classified as Home/EU for fee purposes. These bursaries may only be used towards the cost of tuition fees. Living costs are not available as part of the award. The duration of the bursary is for one year.
Important information for MPhil/PhD candidates and two-year MA programme applicants.
The scholarship is for one year only. For candidates undertaking an MPhil/PhD programme or a two-year MA programme, the scholarship is not renewable.
Below are the eligible FULL TIME programmes (new admissions, starting in September 2018):
- MA Korean Studies and Intensive Language (Korean)
- MA History of Art and Archaeology of East Asia and Intensive Language (Korean). N.B. 90 credits (i.e. 60 credit dissertation plus 30 others, of the non-language component) should be in Korea-related subjects.
- MA History and Intensive Language (Korean). N.B. 90 credits (i.e. 60 credit dissertation plus 30 others, of the non-language component) should be in Korea-related subjects.
- MA Korean Studies
- Research Degrees (MPhil/PhD) in Japanese and Korean Studies
Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Open to UK/EU and overseas applicants. Priority will be given to Overseas applicants.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to the degree programme by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2018. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of two academic members from the Centre of Korean Studies plus the head of department for East Asian Languages and Cultures.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 3 May 2018.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2018): You must ALSO submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 22 March 2018).
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow the following steps:
STEP 1: Apply for the scholarship by 17:00 (UK local time) on 3 May 2018.
Applicants must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application which will open HERE on the 23rd January 2018.
STEP 2: Apply for the programme
In addition to the online scholarship application, applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, and a personal statement (In addition to this, MPhil/PhD applicants must also submit a research proposal). The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 22 March 2018).
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5091/5094
If you have any questions about the bursary application, please contact the Scholarships Officer. For information about Korean Studies at SOAS, please contact Professor Jae Hoon Yeon (email@example.com) or Dr Anders Karlsson (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures. Please do not contact these academics with questions related to the scholarship.