SOAS Centre of Korean Studies Scholarship
Deadline: 1 May 2019
The Centre of Korean Studies (CKS) is pleased to offer a scholarship for a student undertaking a full-time postgraduate research degree, whose focus is within Korean Studies. The total budget available is a maximum of £10,000 for 2019-20, which can be used towards tuition fees or living costs. The duration of the scholarship is for one year.
The scholarship is for one year only and is not renewable. New and Continuing students are eligible to apply. The successful candidate will be asked to complete an end of year report on the work accomplished during the year and the impact the funding had.
- Open to UK/EU and overseas applicants.
- Applicants must be studying towards a PhD on a full time basis. New applicants (for September 2019 entry) and continuing students are eligible to apply
- Applicants thesis topic MUST focus on an aspect of Korea
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to the degree programme by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2019. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members from the Centre of Korean Studies
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 16:00 (UK local time) on 1 May 2019.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2019): You must ALSO submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow the following steps:
STEP 1: Apply for the scholarship by 16:00 (UK local time) on 1 May 2019.
Applicants must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application.
STEP 2: Apply for the programme
In addition to the online scholarship application, applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, and a personal statement as well as a research proposal for the proposed PhD study. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5091/5094