Anne Steyn Music Scholarship
Deadline: 3 April 2019
This Scholarship is awarded by ‘The Estate of Anne Steyn’ to provide a student bursary to a Black South African student who is aspiring to become or already are musician or artist, in order to assist them to become a qualified person in their chosen profession.
The Anne Steyn Music Scholarship will be awarded to black students who are ordinarily residents in South Africa and have received an offer of admission to pursue one of the following eligible Masters Programmes at SOAS.
The total value of the scholarship is £15,446. This can be used as maintenance or as a contribution towards fees. NEW update: In addition to this, International Student House (ISH) provides free accommodation and a food scholarship. The scholarship recipient must reside at International Student House during the whole of your course. ISH is an independent educational charity that runs a large student hostel near the School, together with social facilities for international students in London. It has a close association with the University of London. You should also be aware that in return for the residential scholarship, ISH expects their scholarship students to play an active role in the life of ISH. In addition you may be asked to work on a voluntary basis within the House for a few hours each month.
- Full-time: MMus Enthomusicology
- Full-time: MA Music in Development
- Full-time: MMus Performance
- Full-time: MA Global Creative and Cultural industries
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2019)
- Must be ordinarily resident in South Africa
- Must identify as Black
- Applicants must hold an offer to pursue one of the eligible degree programme at SOAS by the scholarships deadline.
- While it is not essential, it is preferable if the applicant’s degree programme of study, includes performance as an important component.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2019. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- Academic references, degree result, CV, your statement and other relevant information in your application will be considered to assess the above criteria.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Deadline & Application Material
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 16:00 (UK local time) on Wednesday, 03 April 2019.
- You must submit a complete application of your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for this scholarship. Please note that complete applications for admission can take 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarships deadline (that is, by 18 February 2019).
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow the following steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
You must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarships deadline (that is, by 18 February 2019).
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 16:00 (UK local time) on 03 April 2019.
You must apply for this scholarship via the online application form.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Department:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091