Bernard Buckman Scholarship
Deadline: 20 February 2018
The Bernard Buckman Scholarship was established in 1992 with generous support by Mrs Buckman in memory of her late husband who was a Governor of the School. There is one Bernard Buckman Scholarship available.
The scholarship is intended to off-set the full time tuition fees at the UK/EU rate for one year only.
- The full-time MA Chinese Studies programme
- The full time MA Advanced Chinese Studies (new admissions only)
- Part-time programmes are not eligible
- Applicants must possess a good honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent institution recognised by SOAS.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue the full-time MA Chinese Studies programme or the MA Advanced Chinese studies at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2018. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Open to applicants paying fees at the UK/EU rate only
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2018
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must ALSO submit a complete online application to the full-time MA Chinese Studies/MA Advanced Chinese Studies programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2018). Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by end-June. If you have not heard from us by end-June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to the full-time MA Chinese Studies Or MA Advanced Chinese Studies at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2018).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 17:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2018.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form which will open HERE on 23 January 2018.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091