CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary
Deadline: 28 May 2021
The Centre for the Study of Japanese Religions offers a CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary in Japanese Religions to be held at SOAS, University of London.
The total value of the scholarship is £5,000 for one year only for full-time programmes, providing a contribution towards fees. If the successful candidate receives a grant to cover fees from another funding body, the bursary can be used towards maintenance.
Applications are invited from outstanding students of Japanese religions, regardless of nationality.
- full-time Research Degree: Religions and Philosophies in Japanese Religions (Department of Religions & Philosophies, School of History, Religions & Philosophies)
- full-time MA Buddhist Studies focusing on Japanese Religions/ Japanese Buddhism
- full-time MA Buddhist Studies and Intensive Language (Japanese) focusing on Japanese Buddhism
- New admissions only (programmes starting in September 2021).
- Applicants must possess an outstanding academic record
- Taught Masters (MA) applicants must focus on Japanese Religions / Japanese Buddhism. Evidence of this should be included in the statement of their application and reflected in their choice of modules.
- Taught Masters (MA) and Research Degree (MPhil/PhD) applicants should give evidence in the statement of their application of their ability to use sources in Japanese.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas candidates.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission for one of the eligible programmes at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2021.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel. The Centre reserves the right not to make an award in the event that no suitable application is received.
- Candidates will be assessed on evidence that the primary focus of their study is Japanese Buddhism and that they have sufficient knowledge of Japanese to use sources in Japanese.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your application for admission. Selectors will be looking at academic references, degree results, statement, CV, research proposal (MPhil/PhD applications only) and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received by the deadline.
- Applicants must also submit a complete application to their programme well in advance and then submit an application for the scholarship. Please note that complete applications for admission can take 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline.
- Late or incomplete scholarship applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
The successful candidate will be notified by email by the end of June. If you have not had a response to your application by mid-July you may assume that you have not been successful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a complete on-line application for admission and have an offer of admissions by the scholarship application deadline.
Please see here for an on-line Taught Masters application.
Please see here for guidance on how to apply for a Research Degree (MPhil/PhD) and for an on-line application.
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal (MPhil/PhD applications only) and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by the applicaiton deadline.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form.
For academic enquiries:
- Dr Lucia Dolce – firstname.lastname@example.org
For scholarship enquiries:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/ 5091