Elisabeth Croll Scholarship for fieldwork in China
Deadline: 7 May 2020
The Elisabeth Croll Scholarship for fieldwork in China has been created to honour the memory of Elisabeth Croll (1944-2007), vice principal of SOAS and Professor of Chinese Anthropology. The scholarship offers a current MPhil/PhD student at SOAS up to £1300 towards the cost of fieldwork in China (Mainland China & Taiwan).
- The Elisabeth Croll Scholarship for fieldwork in China does not fund visits for attending conferences: the fieldwork must stand on its own to be eligible for an award.
- The Elisabeth Croll Scholarship for fieldwork in China does not fund a student more than once during an MPhil/PhD programme.
- The Elisabeth Croll Scholarship for fieldwork in China cannot hold an award over into the next academic year if a candidate fails to make the trip when intended: a re-application has to be made.
- Successful candidates must be transferred to PhD status and had their fieldwork formally approved by the School before they can claim their award.
- Overseas fieldwork is normally undertaken in the second full-time year and cannot normally be undertaken in the first year of enrolment or during the last term of the student’s prescribed enrolment period. Exceptional request for fieldwork in the third full time year are subject to the approval of the Associate Dean Research.
- Any student accepting an Elisabeth Croll Scholarship for fieldwork in China must be enrolled (i.e. full-time, part-time or study leave status) for the academic year in which he/she applies and for the academic year in which his/her Award is taken. Students on Continuation (Writing-up) are not eligible for these awards.
The Elisabeth Croll Scholarship for fieldwork in China does not normally consider retrospective applications therefore students are advised to apply in good time before leaving for fieldwork.
On completion of the fieldwork, the student must submit a 1000-word report, signed by the supervisor, to the Scholarships Officer within one month of returning to the UK or within one month of the end of the fieldwork, whichever is sooner.
- Applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 07 May 2020.
- Late applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by e-mail regarding the outcome of their application by mid-July. If you have not heard from us by mid-July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You can apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form, which will open HERE on 23 January 2020.
One reference from your supervisor is also required. Please forward the reference form to your supervisor. The reference form can be downloaded from the top right hand corner of this page from 23 January 2020.
For enquiries, please:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091