Deadline: 29 January 2018
Thanks to the generosity of the Felix Scholarship Trust, a number of Felix Scholarships will be available to Indian nationals with first class degrees to pursue graduate studies at SOAS, University of London. There will be one PhD scholarship for entry in September 2018 and a number of scholarships for Taught Masters programmes for entry in September 2018.
The Felix scholarship covers the full cost of tuition fees; living costs (£15,560 in 2017-18) and a return air fare. Two Masters scholarships are shared with International Students House, which provides free accommodation and breakfast. For these awards, the accommodation cost will be deducted from the living cost of £15,560.
Any full time PhD programme or Taught masters programmes.
Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Must be Indian nationals and not currently be living or studying outside of India.
- Must not have previously studied for one year or more outside India.
- Felix Master's Alumni who have obtained a distinction at Masters may apply for a PhD Felix scholarship.
- Candidates must have at least a first class Bachelor's degree from an Indian University or comparable institution. We may give priority applicants with a higher first class Bachelor's degree
- Exceptionally those with an upper second-class degree at the Bachelor's level may be considered for for PhD if they hold a first class degree at the Master's level.
- Those who already hold degrees from Universities outside India are not eligible to apply
- Those who already hold a Master's degree cannot apply for a Master's degree scholarship.
- Those who already hold a PhD cannot apply for a PhD scholarship.
- Those who have already taken up a scholarship to pursue PhD studies at an Indian University are not eligible for a Felix scholarship.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Graduates are expected to return to work in their home country.
- Candidates must have submitted a complete application for admission by the scholarship application deadline of 29 January 2018.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission by the time shortlisting takes place in early March 2018.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2018. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit. Felix Trustees will also take into consideration financial need.
- Only those who have been accepted for admission will be considered for short listing by the SOAS Selection Panel. Shortlisting at SOAS will take place in early March 2018.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Applications must be submitted no later than 17:00 GMT(UK local time) on 29 January 2018.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- You must submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an electronic application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Notification of Results
In April, the Scholarships Office will notify those who have been shortlisted by the SOAS Panel. Shortlisted applications will be put forward to Felix Selection Committee for final consideration. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview in India between April and June 2018. Candidates cannot be considered for an award without an interview.
Outcome of the Felix Selection Committee
Successful candidates will be notified of the outcome in June 2018. If you have not had a response to your application by July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission. You can use this on-line link to apply for for a Master's degree. Please use this on-line link to apply for a Research degree
Applicants must have submitted a complete admission to a Research degree or a Master's programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline, 29 January 2018. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal (for PhD) and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line Felix Scholarship application form.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091
About the donor
The donor for the Felix Scholarship wishes to remain anonymous. The administration of the Scholarship is conducted by the three partner universities (SOAS-University of London, University of Oxford and University of Reading), with the support of the Felix Trustees and their agents in London.
The Felix scholarships now have their own website (http://www.felixscholarship.org), which provides information on the Scholarships, and allows Felix alumni to stay in touch.