John Loiello AFSOAS FISH Scholarship
Deadline: 20 February 2018
The John Loiello AFSOAS FISH Scholarship was set up by the American Friends of SOAS The scholarship is named after John Loiello, a founding board members and benefactor of AFSOAS who sadly passed away in 2013. The purpose of the scholarship is to give an American student the life changing opportunity to study a full-time, one-year taught Master's programme at SOAS in London.
The total value of the scholarship will be a minimum of £20,000 GBP. Tuition fees will be deducted from this amount and the remainder may be used towards maintenance.
In addition, an accommodation scholarship will be provided by Friends of International Students’ House (FISH) for the student to live at International Students’ House (ISH) in central London plus a small contribution in food vouchers (breakfast) at ISH
- Any full-time, one-year taught Master's programme at SOAS.
- Two year programmes are not eligible
- Part-time programmes are not eligible
- Applicants must have an unconditional or conditional offer to study for a full-time, one-year taught Master's programme at SOAS in the academic year 2018-19 by the scholarship deadline of 20 February.
- Applicants who are studying on a Master’s programme or have been awarded a Master’s degree are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate financial need. Priority will be given to those with the lowest adjusted gross income (AGI) from last year. Important: applicants must submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by 1 April 2018 and indicate SOAS as a School.
- Applicants who are the first in their family to go to university or who come from a challenging financial background are encouraged to apply for the scholarship.
- Applicants must have graduated from a US high school and have obtained their undergraduate degree at a US College or University.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Applicants must have an unweighted GPA of at least 3.50 in their undergraduate degree.
- Applicants must provide clear intentions of how they would plan to give back to SOAS as a student and as an alumni
- Candidates will be assessed on the quality of their application by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the quality of the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission.
- Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information including financial information as determined by the data submitted on your FAFSA.
- Selectors will look at the clarity of your goals at both SOAS and beyond
- Selectors will consider relevant extra-curricular involvement and leadership experience
- Selectors will require clear intentions of how you plan to give back to SOAS as a student and as an alumni
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2018.
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must ALSO submit a complete online application for a full-time one year taught Master’s programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2018). Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Notification of Results
- Successful candidates will be notified by early May. If you have not heard from us by early May, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow three steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a full-time one year taught Master’s programme. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2018).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 17:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2018.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form which will open HERE on 23 January 2018.
- STEP 3: You must submit your FAFSA by 1 April 2018 and indicate SOAS as a School.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091