JRC Fuwaku Scholarship
Deadline: 20 April 2021
To celebrate the Japanese Research Centre's (JRC) 40th anniversary, the JRC is pleased announce the JRC Fuwaku Scholarship 2021. There is one scholarship valued at £10,000.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD Student (new admissions and current SOAS MPhil/PhD students) whose thesis topic focusses on any aspect of Japan.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Open to Home / EU / Overseas applicants
- Applicants should include in their scholarship application details of their skills in Japanese. Whole Japanese language is not essential, it is desirable so it be helpful if the applicants' referees comment on their skills in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking, if applicable.
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
MPhil/PhD new admissions
MPhil/PhD current students
- MPhil candidates will be assessed on academic merit and the strength of their proposal.
- PhD candidates will be assessed on academic merit, the results of their research during the previous year and proposal.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 April 2021.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2021): You must also submit a complete application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit a complete application to your programme for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete application for admission can take 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 March 2021).
- New applicants only (new admissions starting in September 2021): You must have an offer of admission to a full-time eligible programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline - 20 April 2021.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should complete the following steps:
STEP 1: Apply for your programme
You must submit a complete on-line application for admission
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline - 20 April 2021. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, a personal statement and a research proposal. The panel will be considering your scholarship application together with your online application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline by 9 March 2021.
STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 April 2021.
You must apply for this scholarship via the online application form which will open on 18 February 2021.
In addition to the on-line scholarship application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed scholarship application form. The reference form can be downloaded from the download box at the top right hand corner of this page from 18 February 2021.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Office:
Telephone +44(0)20 7074 5094/5091