Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships
Deadline: 20 April 2021
There are two Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships available. Each scholarship is valued at £7,000 in total.
Scholarships are for one year only, but it is possible to reapply if an award recipient has demonstrated outstanding potential for research. Please note that this scholarship cannot be held during the Extension of Writing-Up (Continuation) status.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme where the student will be working on some aspect of Japanese Studies.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants
- Current PhD students at SOAS, or newly enrolling full-time MPhil students with an offer of admission are eligible. Newly enrolling MPhil students may be given preference.
- It is important that your referees comment on your skill in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking.
- Applicant must possess an MA degree from SOAS or an equivalent institution in a relevant subject.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission by the scholarship deadline.
- Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2021) must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2021. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible. Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- MPhil candidates will be assessed on academic merit and the strength of their proposal.
- PhD candidates will be assessed on academic merit, the results of their research during the previous year and proposal.
- Some consideration will be given to financial need.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship Applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 April 2021.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2021): You must ALSO submit a complete application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 09 March 2021).
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow the following steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for the scholarship by 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 April 2021
You can apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form which will open on 15 February 2021.
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: In addition to the on-line scholarship application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed scholarship application form. The Meiji Jingu reference form can be downloaded from the top right hand corner of this page from 15 February 2021.
- STEP 2: Apply for your programme
In addition to the on-line scholarship application, new applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2021), must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, a personal statement and a research proposal. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. Guidance for applying for MPhil/PhD and information on what makes an application complete - please see here for How to Apply.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 09 March 2021).
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091