Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships
Deadline: 2 May 2022
There are two Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships available. Each scholarship is valued at £7,000 in total.
Scholarships are for one year only, but it is possible to reapply if an award recipient has demonstrated outstanding potential for research. Please note that this scholarship cannot be held during the Extension of Writing-Up (Continuation) status.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme where the student will be working on some aspect of Japanese Studies.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants
- Current PhD students at SOAS, or newly enrolling full-time MPhil students with an offer of admission are eligible. Newly enrolling MPhil students may be given preference.
- It is important that your referees comment on your skill in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking.
- Applicant must possess an MA degree from SOAS or an equivalent institution in a relevant subject.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission by the scholarship deadline.
- Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2022) must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2022. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible. Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- MPhil candidates will be assessed on academic merit and the strength of their proposal.
- PhD candidates will be assessed on academic merit, the results of their research during the previous year and proposal.
- Some consideration will be given to financial need.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship Applications must be received no later than 23:59 (UK local time) on 2 May 2022.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2022): You must ALSO submit a complete application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Only the successful candidates will be notified by the end of July 2022. If you have not heard from us by then, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow the following steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for the scholarship by 23:59 (UK local time) on 2 May 2022
You can apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: In addition to the on-line scholarship application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed scholarship application form. The Meiji Jingu reference form can be downloaded from the top right hand corner of this page.
- STEP 2: Apply for your programme
Guidance on how to apply and what makes a complete application can be found here on How to Apply
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5106