SOAS Master's Scholarships
Deadline: 20 February 2020
There are 11 SOAS Master's scholarships available at SOAS. Each scholarship is valued at £19,229 in total. Fees will be deducted from this amount and the remainder will be used toward maintenance.
Eleven scholarships, one for each of the following departments:
- Part-time programmes or full-time 2 years are NOT eligible for the SOAS Master's Scholarships.
- School of Law - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- Department of Politics & International Studies - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- School of Finance & Management - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- Department of Economics - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- Department of Development Studies - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- School of History, Religions and Philosophies - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- Department of Anthropology and Sociology - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- School of Arts - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- Interdisciplinary Studies (Centre of Development, Environment and Policy, Centre of Gender Studies, Centre of Global Media and Communications & Centre of International Studies and Diplomacy) - any 12 months full-time master's programme
- School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics - Eligible programmes:
- the full-time MA Linguistics
- the full-time MA Language, Documentation and Description
- the full-time MA Translation
- the full-time MA Comparative Literature (Africa/Asia)
- the full-time MA Cultural Studies
- the full-time MA Postcolonial studies
- Applicants must possess or expect to be awarded a First Class Honours Degree or equivalent. Students with a non-UK degree to be adjudged in the top rank by their referees and transcript.
- This scholarship is open to UK/EU applicants only
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible full-time masters programmes at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2020. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- The scholarship cannot be held along with any other major scholarship or studentship.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by an Advisory Panel consisting of at least three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line admission application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2020.
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must also submit a complete online application for your programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme by 09 January 2020 to ensure you have an offer by 20 February 2020. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme by 09 January 2020.
Applicants must submit a complete on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a 12 months full-time degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application together with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2020.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form which will open on 23 January 2020.
For enquiries, please:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091