V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarships
Deadline: 2 April 2020
The V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarships are available for postgraduates to support a taught masters in Religious Studies with reference to Hinduism and a taught masters in Anthropology with reference to Hindu culture in South Asia. Each scholarship covers the cost of tuition fees and provides a maintenance.
A taught masters in Religious Studies with Reference to Hinduism.
- the full-time MA History
- the full-time MA Religion in Global Politics
- the full-time MA Religions of Asia and Africa
- the full-time MA Traditions of Yoga and Meditation
A taught masters in Anthropology with Reference to Hindu culture in South Asia
- the full-time MA South Asian Area Studies
- The scholarship is open to UK/EU and overseas applicants.
- Applicants must possess or expect to be awarded a First Class Honours Degree or equivalent. Students with a non-UK degree to be adjudged in the top rank by their referees and transcript.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue one of the full-time eligible taught masters programmes by the scholarship application deadline, that is, by 2 April 2020.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2020. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by an Advisory Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 2 April 2020.
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must also submit a complete online application to your programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme by 20 February 2020 to ensure you have an offer by the scholarship deadline. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You should follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a complete on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a 12 months full-time degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application together with with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 15:00 (UK local time) on 2 April 2020.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form which will open on 23 January 2020.
For enquiries, please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091