SOAS Research Studentships
Deadline: 28 March 2019
SOAS is pleased to confirm 7 SOAS Research scholarships for the 2019/20 academic year which will be dedicated to supporting research students from specific BME groups within the UK as well as applicants from Africa, Asia and the Middle East who are underrepresented within academia.
Each scholarship provides a remission of tuition fees and a maintenance allowance of £17,009, providing full financial support and doctoral skill development to successful recipients.
Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme (new admissions only).
This scholarship is open to UK/EU and Overseas fee-paying students however priority will be given to the following:
- Applicants who are UK-permanent residents (UK fee-paying students) from the following ethnic group:
- Black (Black or Black British African, Black or Black British Caribbean, Black or Black British other or Mixed Black or Black British)
- Applicants who are ordinarily resident in one of the following countries:
- Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible full-time research programmes at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2019. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- The scholarship cannot be held along with any other major scholarship or studentship.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by an Advisory Panel consisting of at least three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line admissions application. Selectors will be looking at academic attainment – as demonstrated by prior results, references, publications and research proposal and by financial need – based on socio-economic background.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 16:00 (UK local time) on 28 March 2019.
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must ALSO submit a complete online application for your programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme by 1 March 2019 to ensure you have an offer by the time the selection takes place. It is anticipated that selection for the scholarship will take place at the end of March. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme by 1 March 2019.
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a 12 months full-time degree programme at SOAS by the time the selection takes place. It is anticipated that selection for the scholarship will take place at the end of March 2019. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Guidance for applying for MPhil/PhD and information on what makes an application complete - please check HERE
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 16:00 (UK local time) on 28 March 2019.
You must apply for this scholarship via this on-line scholarship application.
For enquiries, please:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094 / 5091