SOAS Research Studentships
Deadline: 31 January 2018
Eleven studentships (one in each department) are available for students who are proposing to register full-time for a research degree at SOAS. The SOAS Research Studentships provide remission of tuition fees and a maintenance allowance of at least £16,553.
Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarship may be renewed for the normal duration of a full-time student’s registration. The normal duration of a full-time student’s registration for a research degree is three years. The award is therefore renewable for up to a further two years.
Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme (new admissions only) in the following Departments:
- School of Law
- Department of Politics & International Studies
- School of Finance & Management
- Department of Economics
- Department of Development Studies
- School of History, Religions & Philosophies
- Department of Anthropology & Sociology
- School of Arts
- Department of East Asian Languages & Cultures
- School of Languages, Cultures & Linguistics
- Interdisciplinary Studies (Centre of Development, Environment and Policy, Centre of Gender Studies, Centre of Global Media and Communications & Centre of International Studies and Diplomacy)
- Applicants must possess or expect to be awarded a Distinction in their Masters Degree from a UK university. Applicants with a non-UK degree to be adjudged in the top rank by their referees and transcript.
- Only new research students may apply: those already enrolled on a research degree programme at SOAS are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to a Research degree programme at SOAS by the time the scholarship selection process starts at SOAS. It is expected that the scholarships selection will start on 14 February 2018.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2018. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates currently completing a Masters degree are welcome to apply.
- Open to Home/EU applicants and overseas applicants
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 31 January 2018.
- You must submit a complete online application to your programme by 3 January 2018. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme by 3 January 2018.
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a Research degree programme at SOAS by the time the scholarship selection process starts at SOAS (It is expected that the scholarships selection will start on 14 February 2018). A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 17:00 (UK local time) on 31 January 2018.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please contact the scholarships department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091