SOAS Research Studentships
Deadline: 30 April 2021
SOAS University of London is committed to addressing inequalities in participation in doctoral degree programmes. We invite applications from Black British students as well as students based in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. As part of your application, please provide a short widening participation statement (maximum 800 words) in which you outline how you qualify under the eligibility criteria. You might wish to include obstacles including disabilities, growing up in a lower income family, or being the first in your family to go to university. Also, your widening participation statement should include why you wish to study at SOAS and how this scholarship and programme of study will impact/benefit your eventual career aims/community.
Each scholarship provides a remission of tuition fees and a maintenance allowance of £17,285, providing full financial support and doctoral skill development to successful recipients for a 3 year full time programme.
Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme (new admissions only).
This scholarship is open to UK/EU and Overseas fee-paying students. In order to be eligible, applicants should:
- Be UK-permanent residents (UK fee-paying students) from the following ethnic group:
- Black (Black or Black British African, Black or Black British Caribbean, Black or Black British other or Mixed Black or Black British)
- Applicants who are ordinarily resident in Africa, Asia, or the Middle East.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible full-time research programmes at SOAS by the time selection takes place.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2021. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- The scholarship cannot be held along with any other major scholarship or studentship.
Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by an Advisory Panel that has undergone diversity training and which consists of at least three academic members from Black and Minority Ethnic backgrounds.
The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line admission application for admission. Selectors will be looking at academic attainment – as demonstrated by prior results, references, publications and research proposal, as well as the widening participation statement.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than the application deadline 16:00 (UK local time)
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must ALSO submit a complete online application for your programme. It is anticipated that selection for the scholarship will take place in early May 2021. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a 12 months full-time degree programme at SOAS by the time the selection takes place. It is anticipated that selection for the scholarship will take place in early May 2021. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Our Research Admissions webpage provides guidance for applying for MPhil/PhD and information on what makes an application complete.
STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by the application deadline.
You must apply for this scholarship via this on-line scholarship application.
For enquiries, please:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5083