SOAS Sanctuary Scholarships - 2017/18
Extended Deadline: 04 April 2017
The SOAS Sanctuary scheme is intended to provide displaced people, who do not have access to student finance, with the opportunity to take their first steps in higher education in the UK.
These scholarships will be available for up to six undergraduate and one Master's students commencing their SOAS degree in 2017/18. The scholarship will be a full tuition fee waiver at Home/EU level:
- Full-time undergraduate, the scholarship will cover the fees for up to 3 years
- Full-time master’s, the scholarship will cover the fees for one year
- Two-year part-time master’s, the scholarship will cover the fees for two years
As a comparison, 1 undergraduate and 4 master's scholarships were awarded in 2016/17.
SOAS is delighted to announce that due to the amazing generosity both within and beyond the SOAS community we have additional funds (to support Sanctuary scholars with their living costs) as well as some offers of accommodation.
As part of the selection process we will ensure that this financial support is tailored to meet the some of the living costs of the scholars and that at least 4 scholars will be offered accommodation where appropriate.
Eligibility of chosen Degree
- Any full time undergraduate degree of 3 year duration
- Any full time 1 year postgraduate taught master’s degree or 2 years part-time postgraduate taught master’s degree
- Applicants must be a displaced person - you may be an asylum seeker or have discretionary leave to remain, humanitarian protection status, UASC (Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child) leave to remain or limited leave to remain.
Applicants for the postgraduate taught master’s degree must have provided a letter from UK Government confirming their current immigration status in the UK in their application for admission.
Applicants for the undergraduate degree programme must have provided a letter from UK Government confirming their current immigration status in the UK to firstname.lastname@example.org by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must be resident in the UK
- Applicants must be ineligible to receive student finance. Please note that some people with the statuses listed above are eligible to apply to student finance. You can check your eligibility at http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue an eligible degree at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet English requirements as soon as possible.
- Only new applicants to study at SOAS may apply: those already enrolled on an Undergraduate, Master's or Postgraduate Research degrees at SOAS are not eligible to apply
Candidates will be assessed on eligibility and on the personal statement in the scholarship application by a Selection Panel consisting of at least three members.
The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at your predicted and/or actual academic results and also at references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship Applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 04 April 2017.
- You must submit a complete application for admission to your chosen degree at SOAS as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by end of June. If you have not heard from us by end of June, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
STEP 1: Apply for your degree at SOAS
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE application
Please click HERE for an on-line taught master’s application.
Please click HERE for guidance on how to apply for an undergraduate degree through the UK's central universities application organization, UCAS
Applicants must have an offer of admission to study at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline
The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5142