Special Language Scholarship
Deadline: 31 July 2020
Due to a generous philanthropic donation, the School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics offers six MA Scholarships in the following languages: Amharic, Bengali, Burmese, Hebrew, Hindi, Indonesian, Persian, Prakrit, Sanskrit, Swahili, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese, Yoruba, and Zulu.
The scholarships are open to students embarking on full-time study in 2020/21 in one of the MA programmes listed below. The total value of the scholarship is £5,000, providing a contribution towards fees. If a successful candidate received a grant to cover fees from another funding body, the scholarship can be used towards maintenance.
Applications are invited from outstanding students wishing to study language, literature and culture, regardless of nationality.
Open to applicants on the following full-time MA degrees:
- MA African Studies
- MA Comparative Literature
- MA Cultural Studies
- MA Linguistics
- MA Near and Middle Eastern Studies
- MA Postcolonial Studies
- MA South Asian Studies
- MA South East and Pacific Asian Studies
- MA Translation
- Applicants must possess and outstanding academic record (minimum UK upper second-class (2:1) or international equivalent).
- Applicants must focus on language (including linguistics), literature or culture. Evidence of this should be included in the statement of their application and reflected in their choice of modules.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas candidates.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission for one of the eligible programmes at SOAS by the scholarship deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel. The school reserves the right not to make an award in the event that no suitable applications received.
- Candidates' focus on language (including linguistics), literature or culture will be a central assessment criterion.
- The assessment of your application will be based on academic merit and a 250-word statement.
How to Apply
Apply for the Special Language Scholarship via the online form. You should save a copy of your application form for your records. If you wish to print a copy of the application, then please do so before clicking SUBMIT.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 16:00 (UK local time) on 31 July 2020.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of August 2020. If you have not heard from us by the end of August 2020, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
For enquiries, please:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5083