Sri Aurobindo Trust Travel Awards
Deadline: 27 February 2018
The Sri Aurobindo Trust will make three travel awards available to undergraduate students with a strong interest in Modern Indian Philosophy and the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother. The awards will be available to 2nd year students who are taking a three year BA or 2nd /3rd year students who are taking a four year joint honours BA.
The awards will be used to fund students to attend an intensive field study trip to Auroville and Pondicherry in south-east India. This trip will enable attendees to deepen their knowledge of the theoretical practices of the Integral Yoga of Sri Aurobindo of which they will have a keen understanding. Through visiting the locations where Sri Aurobindo was first practised, participants will be able to experience for themselves the communities and inspiring spiritual traditions which have grown from his teachings and are still lived today.
The 2018 field study trip will last ten days and will take place in late August/early September. Students will be expected to complete a post-trip report detailing their experiences and impact on their understanding and appreciation of Modern Indian Philosophy.
Each award will provide £1,000, which will be disbursed to award holders by the Scholarships Office by early May. This may be used towards travel to and from the programme by the specified start date (in late August or early September) as well as for incidental costs. In addition to this, room and board will be covered during the dates of the programme and arranged directly by the Sri Aurobindo Trust.
- Candidates must be current undergraduate students who have completed at least one year of undergraduate study at SOAS and will be continuing their undergraduate studies at SOAS in 2018-19. The following students are eligible to apply:
- second year students in 2017-18 completing any three year degree at SOAS*
- second year students in 2017-18 completing any four year degree at SOAS*
- third year students in 2017-18 completing any four year degree at SOAS*
*Please note that some preference will be given to students who have already taken/are currently taking the module in Modern Indian Philosophy and/or who are completing degrees in the Department of Religions and Philosophies.
- First year undergraduate students in 2017-18 or final year students in 2017-18 are not eligible.
Candidates must have:
- Received a 2:1 or a first in academic year 2016-17 (or in academic year 2015-16 for those applicants who were in their year abroad in 2016-17). However, some preference will be given to students who have received a first. IMPORTANT: Please note that awards will be subject to candidates having successfully completed all the course requirements in Term 1 and 2 of 2017-18 with overall marks of 2.1 or above. The Scholarships Office will check the award holder’s results late April before the awards are confirmed.
- Demonstrated academic, extra curricular or personal interest in the study of religions and/or topic of the programme
- Motivation for taking part in the field study trip, clear objectives for what you will gain from the programme (academically, personally, etc.) and how you will apply these upon your return to the UK
The application will be assessed by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members and will be based on:
- Academic merit and progress
- Demonstrated academic, extra curricular or personal interest in the study of religions and philosophies and/or topic of the programme
- Motivation for taking part in the field study trip, clear objectives about what you will gain from the programme (academically, personally, etc.) and how you will apply these upon your return to the UK
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship Applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 27 February 2018.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notifications of Results
Successful candidates will be notified early April. Please note that awards will be subject to candidates having successfully completed all the course requirements in Term 1 and 2 of 2017-18 with overall marks of 2.1 or above. If you have not heard from us by mid-April, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091