Journals published or hosted by SOAS University of London
SOAS publishes and hosts a number of internationally renowned journals. They include area studies and disciplinary journals, and offer a range of historical and contemporary perspectives. The SOAS journals attract and publish high-quality, cutting-edge research from scholars working in the world’s leading academic institutions, as well as from within SOAS itself.
Academic freedom is essential in the pursuit of scholarly truth and dissemination of knowledge. Submissions to all SOAS-owned journals are considered on their academic merits, irrespective of the status of the authors or sensitivity of topic. SOAS is opposed to any attempt to restrict access to our publications on the basis of their content.
- The Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies (three parts a year) contains contributions to the knowledge of Asian and African languages, culture, history, religion and literature. Considerable space is devoted to book reviews.
- The China Quarterly is the leading journal in the field of modern China studies. In addition to major articles and research reports, each issue contains a comprehensive book review section.
- The Journal of African Law (three parts a year) addresses contemporary legal issues in all sub-Saharan countries. The journal regularly includes separate sections on recent developments, book reviews and case notes.
- South East Asia Research (four parts a year) publishes original research on all aspects of South East Asia within the disciplines of archaeology, art history, economics, geography, history, language and literature, law, music, political science, social anthropology and religious studies.
Other journals edited or co-edited by SOAS academics:
- Central Asian Survey
- Central Asiatic Journal (ISSN 0008 9192)
- Food Policy
- Indonesia and the Malay World
- International Journal of Jaina Studies
- Japan Forum
- Journal of African Cultural Studies
- Journal of Agrarian Change
- Journal of Comparative Law
- Journal of Global History
- Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law
- Journal of Qur'anic Studies
- Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment
- Law, Environment and Development Journal
- SOAS Bulletin of Burma Research
- South Asia Research