Journals & books published or hosted by SOAS University of London
SOAS publishes and hosts a number of internationally renowned publications. They include area studies and disciplinary journals and books and offer a range of historical and contemporary perspectives. The SOAS journals and books attract and publish high-quality, cutting-edge research from scholars working in the world’s leading academic institutions, as well as from within SOAS itself.
Academic freedom is essential in the pursuit of scholarly truth and dissemination of knowledge. Submissions to all SOAS-owned journals and books are considered on their academic merits, irrespective of the status of the authors or sensitivity of topic. SOAS is opposed to any attempt to restrict access to our publications on the basis of their content.
- The Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies (three parts a year) contains contributions to the knowledge on pre-twentieth century Asian and African languages, culture, history, religion and literature. Considerable space is devoted to book reviews.
- The China Quarterly is the leading journal in the field of modern China studies. In addition to major articles and research reports, each issue contains a comprehensive book review section.
- The Journal of African Law (three parts a year) addresses contemporary legal issues in all sub-Saharan countries. The journal regularly includes separate sections on recent developments, book reviews and case notes.
- South East Asia Research (four parts a year) publishes original research on all aspects of South East Asia within the disciplines of archaeology, art history, economics, geography, history, language and literature, law, music, political science, social anthropology and religious studies.
Other journals edited or co-edited by SOAS academics:
- Central Asiatic Journal
- Indonesia and the Malay World
- International Journal of Jaina Studies
- Japan Forum
- Journal of African Cultural Studies
- Journal of Agrarian Change
- Journal of Comparative Law
- Journal of Qur'anic Studies
- Law, Environment and Development Journal
- SOAS Bulletin of Burma Research
- South Asia Research
- SOAS Studies in Music includes monographs and edited volumes that explore musical repertories and performance practice, critical issues in ethnomusicology, sound studies, historical and analytical approaches to music across the globe.
- SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan features new research monographs as well as translations of scholarship not previously available in English. Our goal is to publish high quality, peer-reviewed research on Japan and its history, politics and culture.
SOAS Working Papers
- CeFiMS Working Papers (external site) are wide-ranging and include papers on the faculty's current, active research interests: corporate governance; corporate finance; finance and economic growth; financial regulation, central banking and bank supervision; and management in China, Japan, the Middle East and North Africa.
- Department of Economics Working Papers show the range and impact of research in the Department.
- SOAS Working Papers in Linguistics are an outlet for research in progress conducted by staff, research students and research associates in the Department of Linguistics at SOAS.
- South Asia Institute Working Papers Series is published by the South Asia Institute at SOAS University of London. It provides an opportunity for scholars (particularly those at the early stages of their career) with an opportunity to share their research with a multi-disciplinary audience interested in South Asia.