For REF 2021
Research England has introduced a policy for Open Access which applies to journal articles or conference proceedings accepted after 1st April 2016. If the criteria are not met this will result in articles being ineligible for submission to the next REF. All researchers at SOAS who intend to submit research to the next REF must ensure they meet the requirements. This page will help you to understand what you need to do and the support available at SOAS in 3 easy steps!
If you think your planned or published articles cannot meet the REF Open Access requirements please get in touch with email@example.com.
1. Get to Know the REF Open Access Requirements
- Watch our short 3 minute video
- Read our 2 Page Open Access Policy Summary (pdf; 592kb)
- Look out for our REF Open Access reminder emails
- Come to an information session! Look out on the Research Training & Events page
- Write to firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a 1 to 1 meeting or further if you are unsure of the policy
2. Check Your Potential Publishers Meet REF Open Access Requirements before you submit
- Does your publisher allow you to add your accepted or published version to SOAS Research Online?
- Does your journal allow Open Access no later than 24 months after publication?
- Check the Sherpa Romeo Database to find out if your publisher lets you add your paper to SOAS Research Online
- If your publisher doesn’t seem to have a policy for Open Access write to email@example.com who can find out for you
3. Add your paper to SOAS Research Online as soon as it is accepted for publication
- Add a record to SOAS Research Online as soon as your publisher notifies you that an article has been accepted (this is normally the notification you received after the peer-review process and before your article is taken forward for copy-editing)
- Include the accepted version of your article (final peer-reviewed text before copy-editing or formatting by publishers) in the records added to SOAS Research Online
- Write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having difficulty adding your paper to SOAS Research Online
Support at SOAS
Support at SOAS
Simply write to email@example.com and we can help you with:
- Enquiries relating to REF Open Access, Journal Open Access policies and deposit in SOAS Research Online
- Contacting journal publishers to request Open Access policies and permissions when the Open Access policy is not clear
- Tailored information briefings for your Department or REF Panel meetings and events