Deadline: 2 May 2022
To celebrate the Japanese Research Centre's (JRC) 40th anniversary, the JRC is pleased announce the JRC Fuwaku Scholarship 2022. There is one scholarship valued at £10,000.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD Student (new admissions and current SOAS MPhil/PhD students) whose thesis topic focusses on any aspect of Japan.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Open to Home / EU / Overseas applicants
- Applicants should include in their scholarship application details of their skills in Japanese. Whole Japanese language is not essential, it is desirable so it be helpful if the applicants' referees comment on their skills in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking, if applicable.
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
MPhil/PhD new admissions
MPhil/PhD current students
- MPhil candidates will be assessed on academic merit and the strength of their proposal.
- PhD candidates will be assessed on academic merit, the results of their research during the previous year and proposal.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 23:59 (UK local time) on 2 May 2022.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2022): you must submit a complete application of your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for this scholarship, in order to be considered. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- New applicants only (new admissions starting in September 2022): You must have an offer of admission to a full-time eligible programme at SOAS by the tme the scholarship panel meet.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Further information about PhDs at SOAS University of London is available from: email@example.com
There is a two-step procedure for applying:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Guidance for applying for to a Research Programme and information on what makes an application can be found here for How to Apply
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 23:59 (UK local time) on 2 May 2022.
You must apply for this scholarship via the online application form
In addition to the on-line scholarship application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed scholarship application form. The reference form can be downloaded from the download box at the top right hand corner of this page.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Office:
Telephone +44(0)20 7074 5106