Cowrie Foundation Scholarship 2022/23
DEADLINE: 23:59 (GMT) on 10 June 2022
The Cowrie Scholarship Foundation (CSF) will offer a scholarship to support Black African and Caribbean heritage applicants from socio-economically under-represented backgrounds. Applicants must be an ordinarily resident in the UK and commencing undergraduate study in the academic year 2022/23.
The Cowrie Scholarship Foundation wants to fund 100 Black British Students through UK Universities in the next decade. More information on The Cowrie Scholarship Foundation can be found here.
This award will cover your Home/UK Tuition fees and offer a stipend of up to £10,000 for each year of your programme (£8,000 from Cowrie and up to £2,000 from SOAS). The award is for the entirety of your programme subject to satisfactory academic progression.
You must meet all of the following Criteria in order to be considered:
1. Identify as belonging to one of the following ethnic groups
• Black or Black British – Caribbean
• Black or Black British – African
• Mixed – White and Black Caribbean
• Mixed – White and Black African
• Other Background
2. New scholarship applicants must have applied to SOAS but are not required to have received an offer of admissions by the scholarship deadline. An offer will need to have been received by the time the relevant panel meets to discuss scholarship applications.
3. Have your fee status assessed and confirmed as ‘Home’
4. Have a household income of £25,000 per annum or less
5. Made application to your regional student funding authority for income asses UK government financial support for higher education students. The regional student funding authorities are:
• Student Finance England
• Student Finance Wales
• Student Finance Northern Ireland
• Student Awards Agency for Scotland
6. Confirmation you will be in receipt of full financial support for the 2022/23 academic year. Please ensure you have given consent to share the information with SOAS, as this information will be used to help determine eligibility.
The scholarships include a full tuition fee waiver for:
- Any full time undergraduate degree of 3 years duration
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by an Advisory Panel.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided within your scholarship application and programme to study application.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received by no later than 23:59 (GMT) on 10 June 2022.
- You must also submit a complete online application for your study programme. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Scholarship Application Procedure
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Guidance on how to apply to SOAS and what makes a complete application can be found here for How to Apply.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 23:59 (UK local time) on 10 June 2022
You must appply for this scholarship via the online application form
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the first week of September. If you have not heard from us by September, you should assume that your application is unsucessful.
Please do not contact the Cowrie Foundation as all awards and notifications will be issued from SOAS.
For enquiries, please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5106