What we do
The role of the Student Recruitment is to provide information, advice and guidance about studying at SOAS to prospective students, educational representatives, universities and schools both in the UK and overseas.
We do this by
- undertaking international visits (exhibitions, presentations at schools and universities, counselling, alumni events, meeting educational representatives) in our priority countries
- developing relationships and partnerships with institutions, schools and educational representatives in our priority countries (see Meet SOAS Staff in Your Area to see when a member of our team will next be in your city).
- providing market research on student recruitment activity
- working with faculties and departments on specific recruitment strategies
- attending recruitment fairs for undergraduate and postgraduate students in the UK
- preparing and organising the Student Open Days, Open Evenings and Taster Sessions for prospective students
- managing the Study Abroad programme
- responding to enquiries (face to face, email and telephone)
- mailing out of undergraduate and postgraduate prospectuses
Working with Educational Representatives (Agents)
Since the beginning of 2008, we have been engaging the services of educational representatives in key markets and beyond. Building on some of the contacts IFCELS has established, we have currently signed agreements with about 35 agents in 18 countries. We only sign agreements with educational representatives who show themselves willing and able to promote the SOAS’s unique range of courses and, in this way, hope to widen our reach and ensure we meet the challenging targets for recruitment year on year.
If you are a prospective agent, please email email@example.com
Study Abroad programme
The USA is a key market for the School and Study Abroad students are a vital element in this. Student Recruitment has worked hard to build our Study Abroad partners to over a 100 top US Universities who bring quality students to SOAS. The Study Abroad Team oversee the promotion and running of the programme and attend a large number of Study Abroad events organised by US colleges.
Educational Liaison in the UK (UG and PG)
We undertake a large number of visits to schools and colleges in the UK to give talks and seminars on the educational experience offered at SOAS. These visits will increasingly be targeted at those schools with large numbers of international students.
We also attend relevant education fairs and events (eg UCAS fairs) throughout the UK to promote the school both at undergraduate and postgraduate level
We organise and co-ordinate the Open Days for prospective undergraduate students and the Open Evenings for postgraduate students. These are each held three/four times a year in October, February and April/May/June.
We also organise the SOAS input to the University of London Open Days in September and the Taster Sessions in June of each year.
All these events attract large numbers of prospective students and are a critical recruitment tool for UK recruitment, particularly because students have the opportunity to talk directly to academic staff. As a result we rely heavily on support from the departments to make these occasions productive for both the prospective students and the School.
The Student Recruitment and Admissions Office is based on the ground floor of the main Russell Square building and is open from 10am – 4pm, Monday to Friday
- +44 (0)20 7898 4700
- +44 (0)20 7898 4009