My research centers around the oil palm industries and the broader agrarian political economy in the Philippines and Papua New Guinea. I am investigating the local socio-economic causes and consequences of different production configurations of oil palm production. I make use of the Global Commodity Chain/Global Value Chain literature to analyze economic and social upgrading trajectories at the upstream end of the chain. In the case of PNG, I evaluate the sustainability certification Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). In 2017 I conducted 3-month fieldwork in Papua New Guinea (mainly New Britain island), and 3-month fieldwork in the Philippines (mainly Mindanao; also Palawan and Bohol). I use insights from this fieldwork as well as literature on agrarian political economy of land to investigate issues of land formalization/registration and land reform, their impact on economic and social sustainability, and their implications for value chain configurations.
Paper presentations at:
- 'Agri-food XXV: Celebrating 25 years of the Australasian Agri-food Research Network – Exploring past, present and future contributions to agri-food studies', The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, 30 Nov-5 Dec 2018.
- 'Fifth Global Conference on Economic Geography', University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany, 24-28 July 2018.
- 'Development Studies Association Conference, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK, 27-29 June 2018.
- 'Land and Poverty Conference 2018: Land Governance in an Interconnected World', World Bank, Washington DC, March 2018.
- Summer School on 'Global Agricultural Value Networks and Contract Farming in the Contemporary South', Sam Moyo African Institute for Agrarian Studies, Harare, January 2018.
- 'The Political Economy of Inequalities and Instabilities in the 21st Century”, IIPPE , Berlin, September 2017.
- Third Annual Philippine Studies Workshop, SOAS, London, July 2017.
- 'Emerging Paradigms of Corporate Social Responsibility, Regulation and Governance', Centre for Responsible Business, Delhi, November 2016.
- Department of Economics
- SOAS Food, Nutrition and Health in Development Cluster
- SOAS Food Studies Centre