Elaine's research interests primarily lie on Korean and Chinese popular cultural studies. She writes on various topics including Korean film/TV stars in China, China-Korea media co-productions, K-pop in the U.K. and Korean film distribution in Hong Kong. She is also an experienced Chinese-Korean interpreter.
Elaine's PhD project revisits the transnational trajectories of Korean film/TV stars in China from 2000 to 2016, examining their symbolic and commercial meanings to the changing mediascape in East Asia.
- ‘China-Korea TV Drama Co-Production: International Romance and Multicultural Discourse’. McFarland Collections on Korean Dramas, edited by Ann Gee Lee and JaeYoon Park, McFarland, Forthcoming.
- ‘Post-2014 China-Korea Film Co-Production: Nation Branding and Online Publicity’. Asia-Pacific Film Co-Productions: Theory, Industry and Aesthetics, edited by Dal Yong Jin and Wendy Su, Routledge, Forthcoming.
- ‘Chow Yun-Fat and Territories of Hong Kong Stardom, by Lin Feng, Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press, 2017, 181 Pp., £75.00 (Hardback), ISBN 978-1474405898’. Celebrity Studies, vol. 9, no. 1, Jan. 2018, pp. 151–53, doi:10.1080/19392397.2018.1428159.
- ""National Identity and Collective Star Desecration: Transnational Stardom of Korean Actresses and Online Nationalism in Chinese Social Media."" Desecrating Celebrity, Fourth International Celebrity Studies Conference. Sapienza University of Rome, Italy. 26-28 June 2018.
- ""Cross-border Romance: The Multicultural Potential of Chinese-Korean Co-production Films."" Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Conference. Seongkonghoe University, Seoul, South Korea. 28-30 July 2017.
- ""Inter-Asian Flow of Film Styles: The Case of Mainland Chinese Co-Remakes of Korean Comedies."" The Poetics of Asian Cinemas, 12th ACSS Conference. Lancaster University, United Kingdom. 10-12 July 2017.
- ""Chinese Localization of Korean Film Noir: The Role of Korean Cinema in Building Chinese Soft Power."" Cinema, Soft Power and Geo-Political Change. Carriageworks Theatre, Leeds, United Kingdom. 19-21 June 2017 (funded by the University of Leeds).
- Inter-Asian Cultural Studies Society
- Asian Cinema Studies Society