Graduate Teaching Assistant
Hang Zhou is currently a PhD candidate at School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. He is also a current fellow with the Global Governance Futures – Robert Bosch Foundation Multilateral Dialogues program (GGF 2030 -- working group ""Futures of Global Order""). Prior to enrolling at SOAS, he worked consecutively as research assistant and researcher in the China and Global Security Program at Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (2012-2015), with a focus on China’s foreign policy and China-Africa relations. He later worked as program officer at the China and the Developing World Program at Oxfam Hong Kong (2015).
He earned his master’s degrees in peace and conflict studies from Uppsala University, Sweden and étude comparative du développement from École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS-Paris). He holds his bachelor’s degrees in international politics from Sichuan University, China and political science from Université Paris-X Nanterre.
- Hang Zhou and Katherina Seibel. 2015. 'Maritime Insecurity in Gulf of Guinea: a Greater Role for China?'. China Brief, Vol 15 (1).
- Hang Zhou. 2014. 'Testing the Limits: China's Expanding Role in the South Sudan Civil War.' China Brief, Vol 14 (19).
- Hang Zhou. 2013. 'Dragon under the Blue Helmet: a Quantitative Analysis of China's Motivation for Participation in UN Peacekeeping Operations'. African East-Asian Affairs, no. 3, pp. 31-61.
- Mathieu Duchâtel, Oliver Bräuner and Hang Zhou. 2014. 'Protecting China's Overseas Interests: the Slow Shift away from Non-interference'. SIPRI Policy Paper 41.
- ‘Une coopération agricole triangulaire en Ouganda: une relation Nord-Sud plus horiztonale?’ in the l’Afrique face aux pays émergents: vers des relations renouvelées, edited by Gilles Ferréol, EME Éditions, Louvain-la-Neuve, 2017, pp. 63-74
- Hang Zhou. 'China's Emergency Relief to South Sudan'. The Diplomat, 26 October, 2014.
- Hang Zhou. 'China and South Sudan: Economic Engagement Continues amid Conflict'. African Arguments, 12 September, 2014.
- ""Everyday negotiations of Chinese development engagement in Uganda: the case of road construction"", presented at the 4th SAIS-CARI annual conference 'Matters of State: Politics, Governance, and Agency in China-Africa Engagement', Johns Hopkins University, Washington, DC (19-20, April 2018).
- “Chinese trilateral development cooperation and its practice in Africa”, presented at the international seminar 'Vision of China-Africa Relationship under One Belt One Road', Confucius Institute of Makerere University (Uganda) and Center for African Law and Society at Xiangtan University (China), Kampala (25 February 2018).
- PhD proposal presented at the Politics Department Annual MPhil/PhD Conference ‘Rethinking Politics in Asia, Africa and the Middle East’, SOAS, London (7 July 2017).
- ""La Coopération triangulaire, vers une relation Nord-Sud plus horizontale? — Une étude de cas sur le projet agricole Chine-Grande Bretagne-Ouganda"", presented at the Colloque géopolitique 'l’Afrique face aux BRIC vers des relations renouvelées!', ESCA Ecole de Management, Casablanca (1 December 2016).
- ""China's foreign aid: principles, system and future developments"", presented at the pre-forum workshop 'China as a Foreign Aid Donor: Implications for Development and Security' of the 2014 Stockholm Forum on Security and Development, Stockholm (17 March 2014).