- Mr Hashim Rashid
- Email address:
- Thesis title:
- The Agrarian Question in West Punjab since 1885: The Politics of the Formation of a New Peasantry
I have worked as an academic, activist and journalist in Pakistan. Before starting my doctorate, I taught courses in political economy and urban and rural politics at the Department of Liberal Arts at the Beaconhouse National University in Lahore, Pakistan. My research interests include rural and urban politics, people’s law and popular culture in Pakistan. I am interested in the relationship between research and activism. During my PhD, I intend to examine the politics of the West Punjab peasantry since canal colonisation in the late 19th century. I want to use it to examine the intersection between the discourse of peasant movements and the state's articulation of the agrarian question.
- Rashid, Hashim. (forthcoming 2018) Remembering Ghazi Ilam Din Shaheed: The Construction of Memory, Religious Affect and Blasphemy in the Muslim Public Sphere in Colonial Panjab and Contemporary Pakistan. Südasien-Chronik/South Asia Chronicle. Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
- Rashid, Hashim bin and Moulvi, Zainab (forthcoming 2018), The case of LDA City: How a public-private partnership fractured farmers’ resistance in Lahore In: Marginalization, Contestation and Change in South Asian Cities, Nida Kirmani, ed., Karachi, Oxford University Press.
- Rashid, Hashim bin and Khan, Sher (2016). Goonda Raj: caste and criminality in Punjabi Cinema In: Cinema and Society: Film and Social Change in Pakistan, Khan, Ali and Nobil, Ali Ahmed ed., Karachi, Oxford University Press, 297-306.
- Delegate, Pakistan Kissan Rabta Committee, La Via Campesina 7th Annual Conference in Derio, Spain (July 19-24, 2017).
- The case of LDA City: How a public-private partnership fractured farmers’ resistance in Lahore. Conference: State, Society and Democracy in the Postcolony at the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan (August 5-6, 2016).
- Lahore: Development and its discontents. Conference: Urbanism, Exclusion and Change in South Asia at the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan (March 4-6, 2016).
- Bonding the fishers of Punjab: Tracing the colonial history of the Punjab Fisheries Department. Conference: Re-envisioning Pakistan: The political economy of social transformation in Pakistan. Sarah Lawrence College, New York, USA (April 4-5, 2014)
- Bonding the fishers of Punjab: Tracing the colonial history of the Punjab Fisheries Department. MESAAS Conference at Columbia University, New York, USA (February 27-28, 2014).
- Land and Resources: From the ground up. Conference: Echoes of Ghadar. Pace University, New York, USA (October 25-27, 2013).
- Ecologies of Lahore. Conference: Asian Ecologies: Capitalism, Modernity and the Environment at the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan (April 5-7, 2013).
- New developments in left unity in Pakistan. Socialist Alliance: 9th National Conference at the Geelong Trades Hall, Geelong, Australia (January 18-20, 2013).