Dr Marine Cabos is an art historian who specializes in the history of photography in China. Since 2011, she has been running the platform Photographyofchina.com, whose goal is to present photographic material related to China. As an undergraduate in Paris, she read Chinese Studies at INALCO and History of Art at Sorbonne IV while working for authoritative cultural and magazine institutions, such as the Fondation Cartier pour l’art contemporain and Beaux Arts Magazine in the mid-2000s.
Entering the graduate programme at SOAS, she trained in arts of China under Shane McCausland. She set up her first exhibition in China, on contemporary photography, at the Duolun Museum of Modern Art in Shanghai in 2012. She completed her doctoral thesis on early landscape photographs of China (1840s-1930s) at SOAS in 2016. The grants and honours she received during her research included: the Sir Percival David Foundation Academic and Research Fund; the École française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO) Fieldwork grant; and the Universities' China Committee in London (UCCL) Scholarship.
Moving back and forth between London, Shanghai and Paris, she has been lecturing at SOAS, Christie's Education, the Victoria & Albert Museum, and L'École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS), while organizing exhibitions and coordinating international conferences. She has published papers on the art and history of modern and contemporary China, with a particular stress on photography. Her latest publication examines vernacular photographs taken during the Cultural Revolution published by the peer-reviewed journal Trans Asia Photography Review.
- "L’appréhension des espaces du quotidien à Shanghai", l’Observatoire de l’architecture de la Chine contemporaine, Cité de l’architecture & du patrimoine, Paris, France, 20 mars, 2018
- "The Printed Landscape: Photo-books and Famous Places in Early Twentieth Century China", Second Conference of the European Association for Asian Art and Archaeology, University of Zurich, Switzerland, August 24-27, 2017
- « Repenser les archives photographiques chinoises à l’ère du Big Data », colloque TK-21 & Data Meta Data, Institut National d’Histoire de l’Art, Paris, France, 13 avril, 2017
- "Creating heritage: photographs of ancient sites in late imperial China”, New Lenses on China: Photography in Modern Chinese History and Historiography, 2017 Wiles Colloquium, Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland, June 23, 2017
- "Publishing landscape photography: the Commercial Press of Shanghai and its books series 'Scenic China'", Between Region and Discipline, National Taiwan University and SOAS Postgraduate Conference, SOAS, University of London, United Kingdom, October 13, 2014
- "The practice of referencing in contemporary Chinese photography", Analogue Photography in the New Media Age Symposium, Photographic History Research Centre, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom, April 29, 2014
- "New work in the Art History and Archaeology of Asia", Oriental Ceramic Society one-day conference for early career scholars, London, United Kingdom, June 22, 2013
- "SOAS-NTU Graduate Student Exchange", National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, June 16, 2013
- "Research Advisory Group", Chinese Arts Centre, Manchester, United Kingdom,
March 21, 2013