Dr. Reshmi Banerjee is a research associate in SOAS, working on the political economy of the Indo-Myanmar frontier-exploring the historical links and the current challenges of the Mizo-Chin border region. She has been working on land conflicts in Myanmar for the past one year in the centre. Reshmi is currently also the Visiting Professor in the Centre for North East Studies and Policy Research (C-NES) in Jamia University (JMI), New Delhi, India. She is a political scientist with specialization in food security and agricultural policies. She completed her graduation in political science from Lady Sriram College (LSR), Delhi University (India) and has a MA, M.Phil and Ph.D in the subject from the Centre for Political Studies (CPS), Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi (India). Her interest in research earned her a post-doctoral fellowship in the department of international relations, University of Indonesia (UI), Jakarta where she worked on the non-farm sector in India and China along with a one year special research paper on political and cultural diplomacy in Asean-China relations. She was also a researcher in the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI), Jakarta where she worked on the impact of climatic changes in Indonesia.
Reshmi has worked in various academic institutions in the role of a researcher and a teacher. She was a fellow in the Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies (RGICS), New Delhi and has taught in Delhi University and University of Indonesia (UI). She has done editorial work for research journals and was a member of the editorial board for the Indonesian Social Science Review. She has contributed her papers to various academic journals.
- Participated and presented a paper titled ‘Farm to Firm: Agrarian Conflicts in China and Myanmar’ in the Workshop on China-Myanmar Relations through a Multidisciplinary and Multidimensional Gaze held in SOAS on the 6th of June, 2014.
- Participated and made a presentation titled ‘Assam Saga’ in the South East Asian Symposium held in Keble College, Oxford University in March 2014.
- Participated and presented a paper titled ‘Women in the Land of Jade: Issues and Interventions’ in the International Conference ‘The Eastern Himalayas II: Gender, Poverty and Livelihoods’ held in Jamia University, New Delhi on the 11-13th of February, 2014.
- Participated and presented a paper titled ‘North East India: Issues and Perspectives’ in the seminar held in SOAS titled ‘Ceasefire: Reflections on Community, Politics and Social Change in the Kachin region of Burma (Myanmar) 1994 to the present’ on the 12th of October, 2013.
- Participated in the seminar titled ‘Shan Studies and Recent Changes in the Shan State’ held in SOAS on the 24th of November, 2013.
- Published article titled “Agricultural Transformation and Food Security in India: Lessons for Southeast Asia”, Journal of Resources, Energy and Development, TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), New Delhi in March 2013.
- Presented Paper on “Land conflicts in North East India” in the conference on Strengthening Peace and Development- Response to Insurgency in the North East held in the Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies (RGICS), New Delhi in March 2013.
- Presented Paper on “Climate Change in Indonesia” in the International Conference on the issue of Climate Change, Livelihoods, Growth and Poverty in the Eastern Himalayas held in Jamia Milia Islamia University (JMI), New Delhi in March 2013.
- Presented Paper titled “The Trajectory of the Non-Farm Sector in India and China” in the India-China Conversations-Second Interdisciplinary Symposium for Emerging Scholars on China-India Studies held in Delhi University on the 2nd-3rd of November, 2012.
- Published article titled “Horizontal Inequality in India- an Overview”, Conference Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference of Indian Political Economy Association, Published by Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee in October 2012.
- Published article titled “Climate Change in Indonesia: A Glimpse of Riau and East Kalimantan”, Journal of Resources, Energy and Development, TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), New Delhi, September 2012.
- Published article titled “Food Security: a challenge for the future”, Review of Indonesian Economic and Business Studies, Economic Research Centre, LIPI (Indonesian Institute of Sciences), November 2010.
- Published article titled “Rural Development initiatives in India: a Holistic Approach”, Indonesian Social Science Review, November 2010.
- Published article titled “Ecological Disaster: Future Food Security in Peril”, Global Journal, University of Indonesia, 2010.
- Presented paper titled ‘ Impact of Globalisation on the Indian Rural Sector: Some facts & Emerging Issues’ in the International Seminar on ‘ Social Integration in Plural Society State in Global Era’ in Semarang State University, Semarang, Indonesia in May, 2009. The article was later published in their journal- capturing the proceedings/ papers presented in the international seminar.
- Published paper titled “Food Security in India – Challenges Ahead” in the ALARA Journal (Action Learning & Action Research Journal) Vol 15, No1 April 2009 – Published in Australia.
- Presented paper on ‘Food Security in India” in a symposium titled “Democracy, Social justice & Good Governance” in the University of Indonesia, Jakarta - held in Feb 2009.
- Participated in a workshop in Feb, 2009 in the University of Indonesia, Jakarta titled ‘Contributing to social justice & a livable, sustainable environment: Future directions’. The workshop explored Participatory Action Research.
- Published paper titled “Democracy & Civil Society” in the Political Science Journal 2006 – Published by Lady Sriram College, Delhi University in 2006.
- Published article titled “Bandung: Change through Art”, Indonesian Heritage Society, October 2010.
- Published article titled “Yogyakarta: Artistic Paradise”, Indonesian Heritage Society, June/July 2009.