I conducted an intertextual study of the Pātañjalayogaśāstra (circa 4th century), the classical Indian treatise on yoga. I examined the extent to which the soteriological frames of this text overlapped and intersected with contemporaneous Buddhist Yogācāra and Sarvāstivāda Abhidharma texts. My main methodological approach was conceptual metaphor theory.
- Newcombe, S. and O'Brien-Kop, K. (Eds.) (forthcoming). The Routledge Handbook of Yoga and Meditation Studies. Routledge: London and New York.
- O’Brien-Kop, K. (forthcoming) Entries ‘Siddha Yoga’, ‘Meditation’. In Encyclopedia of Indian Religions. Volume 3. Ed. Sharma, A. Springer Press: Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- O’Brien, K. (2018) ‘Sāṃkhya’ and ‘Yogācāra’. Dictionary of Philosophy of Religions. Ed. Talliafero, C, and Marty, E. Bloomsbury: New York.
- O’Brien-Kop, K (2017) ‘Classical discourses of liberation: shared botanical metaphors in Sarvāstivāda Buddhism and the Yoga of Patañjali’ in Religions of South Asia. 11.2.
- O’Brien-Kop, K (2017) ‘Book review of Dialogue in Early South Asian Religions, edited by Brian Black and Laurie Patton’, International Journal of Hindu Studies 21: 245-246.
- O'Brien-Kop, K (2016) 'Book Review of Indian Asceticism: Power, Violence, and Play by Carl Olson', in Reading Religion, A Publication of the American Academy of Religion. http://readingreligion.org/
- 'The 'other' yogaśāstra: Reconfiguring the category of classical yoga'. American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting. Denver, USA. 2018
- 'Pratipakṣabhāvanā: Yoga as the path of cultivation to overcome the obstacles’. World Sanskrit Conference, University of British Columbia, Vancouver. 2018
- 'Patañjali’s Dharmamegha: The revision of a superlative metaphor’ at Sanskrit Tradition in the Modern World, Manchester University. 2018
- ‘Joining the dots between Buddhist yoga and classical yoga’ at SOAS Centre of Buddhist Studies PhD Workshop. May 18. 2017.
- ‘The entangled discourse of classical yoga’ at The 42nd Spalding Symposium on Indian Religions, Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. April 7-9 2017.
- ‘The intertextual transposition of the term ‘yoga’ in a classical context’ at ‘Yoga Darśana, Yoga Sādhana: Traditions, Transmissions, Transformations’, Institute for the Study of Religions, Jagiellonian University, Poland. May 19-21, 2016.
- ‘An intertextual reading of the Pātañjalayogaśāstra: Localised contexts of production and global challenges of interpretation’, British Association of the Study of Religions Annual Conference, University of Kent, UK. September 14-16, 2015.
- British Association for the Study of Religions
- Royal Asiatic Society
- American Academy of Religion and European Association of South Asian Studies