Research Supervision: Workshop for PhD Supervisors
THIS EVENT IS ARCHIVED
Date: 6 December 2018Time: 9:30 AM
Finishes: 6 December 2018Time: 4:00 PM
Venue: 21/22 Russell Square Room: T101
Type of Event: Workshop
There are many challenges inherent in the supervision of PhD students. This workshop, which is aimed both at new and experienced supervisors, will give you an opportunity to explore different approaches to supervision and examine approaches to dealing with some of the more common challenges involved in the supervision process.
In particular the workshop will explore:
- The challenges of selecting suitable students
- How to effectively build the relationship at the start of the supervision process
- Managing student and supervisor expectations
- What your default approach to supervision of students is and how different approaches may offer opportunities
- Empowering PhD candidates to manage the supervisor-student relationship
- Warning signs that things aren’t going well and how to respond
- How to deal with challenging situations within supervision.
Please note that T101 is located on the first floor of 22 Russell Square, and there is no lift access in this building. Please inform us if you may have any difficulties with access and we will be happy to make the necessary arrangements.
To book your place please register online using the ‘My Training’ tab in MyView.
For help with booking your training in MyView please see MyView Guidance.
If you have any specific needs such as dietary or other requirements for this workshop, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.