The aim of this programme is to deliver the objectives identified in the HR Strategy and Staff Surveys, referring to management development for middle managers, usually those on grades 8 & 9.
Competencies for each level of management will vary in emphasis and degree but at this level will include:
- Leadership - providing clarity of purpose and strategic direction for individuals and teams
- Change management - planning, project managing and decision-making
- Personal effectiveness – collaboration, influencing, interpersonal skills
- Development of the team and support of personal development planning
- Customer service: Understanding and communicating the importance of providing top quality service to all "clients"
Lecturers, senior lecturers and researchers (in their first few years) who lead or manage research or other teams; administrators who manage people / teams and have been in management roles for at least a year.
The 5-day Core Programme will be delivered in five 1-day workshops. You will need to attend all sessions to complete the Core Programme.
Day 1: Developing Your Management & Leadership Style
Day 2: Managing Individual Performance & Development
Day 3: Leading & Building Successful Teams
Day 4: Conflict Management & Influencing Skills
Day 5: Managing Change & Building Personal Resilience
Reading related to each day of the programme can be found in the Recommended Reading - Management in Action (msword; 14kb) document.
In addition to the Core Programme you will need to attend the following sessions to complete the SOAS Management Programme Level 2:
- Understanding and Leading Teams*
- Appraising Your Staff*
- Recruitment and Selection: Parts 1 & 2*
- Team Development and Motivation*
- Equality and Diversity Awareness*
- Successful Meetings - Presenting Yourself
- Customer Care
- Leading in Health and Safety
- Project Management*
- Change Management*
- Information Compliance consisting of:
- Records Management
- Data Protection
- Freedom of Information
- Stress Management and Work-Life Balance
- Determining Priorities and Managing Time*
- Budget Management
*Sessions on the core programme.
For those who have completed, or nearly completed, Level 2 there will be an opportunity to attend the accredited CMI Introductory and Full Diploma in Management courses held at Senate House, subject to funds being available.