Information for New Staff
Welcome to SOAS.
We hope you are excited about joining this amazing institution, and we look forward to working with you.
From Welcome Orientation sessions for new staff to ongoing development activities such as job shadowing and mentoring, the Staff Learning & Organisational Development team are here to support you throughout your career.
As a new member of staff, the most important things you need to know are:
- You and your manager should use the Induction Checklist for New Staff (msword; 156kb) and the Induction Checklist for Managers (msword; 141kb) as a starting point for helping you settle in.
- You should already have been allocated an Induction Mentor; if you haven’t, speak to your line manager as soon as possible.
- Please ensure you register to undertake mandatory training (listed below) as soon as possible.
- Other important information for new staff is available on the Human Resources New Staff page ansd will be discussed with you in your first day induction meeting with HR, and the welcome email you have from the recruitment team.
Remote Working as a New Staff Member
Your manager and mentor will help you settle into SOAS but other useful information to help you work remotely can be found:
- IT Services
- Top Tips for Remote Working
- Wellbing During Remote Working
- Complete a DSE Assessment and return to / discuss with your manager to make sure your home work station is set up optimally.
You are required to attend the below trainings in order to pass probation. You can view the dates of the next sessions on the Course Calendar (if no dates are listed, please check back as we are in the process of arranging rooms). Please sign up through MyView or, if you do not yet have access to this, by emailing email@example.com.
Mandatory training for all staff
- New Staff Orientation : Check Course Calendar for next date; runs termly. Next date Sept/Oct 2020
- Equality and Diversity Overview
- Health & Safety Essentials - Modules 1 - 3.
- Information Compliance: blended course with virtual Data Protection element accessed from Moodle
- Prevent - this is an online course available on SOAS BLE.
Mandatory training for specific roles:
- Recruitment & Selection Parts I & II (for all staff on interview panels)
- Reseach Supervision (for all staff supervising PhD students who have not yet been a first supervisor)
- Safeguarding Essentials
Other strongly recommended training:
- HR Induction for Managers - one hour session for new staff who are managers, or existing staff who are new managers (run monthly)
- Unconscious Bias - virtual course
- Race@SOAS - virtual course
- IT Security Awareness - on Moodle