Information for New Staff
Welcome to SOAS! We hope you are excited about joining, and we look forward to working with you. From Welcome Orientation sessions for new staff to ongoing development activities such as job shadowing and mentoring, the Staff Learning & Development team are here to support you throughout your career.
As a new member of staff, the most important things you need to know are:
- You and your manager should use the Induction Checklist for New Staff (msword; 156kb) and the Induction Checklist for Managers (msword; 141kb) as a starting point for helping you settle in.
- You should already have been allocated an Induction Mentor; if you haven’t, speak to your line manager as soon as possible.
- Please ensure you register to undertake mandatory training (listed below) as soon as possible.
- Other important information for new staff is available on the Human Resources New Staff page
You are required to attend the below trainings in order to pass probation. You can view the dates of the next sessions on the Course Calendar (if no dates are listed, please check back as we are in the process of arranging rooms). Please sign up through MyView or, if you do not yet have access to this, by emailing email@example.com.
Mandatory training for all staff:
- New Staff Orientation
- Equality and Diversity Overview
- Information Compliance
- Prevent - this is an online course available on SOAS BLE.
Mandatory training for specific roles:
- Recruitment & Selection Parts I & II (for all staff on interview panels)
- Reseach Supervision (for all staff supervising PhD students who have not yet been a first supervisor)
Other strongly recommended training:
- HR Induction for New Staff - one hour session for all staff to help them understand key HR Processes and how to use MyView (run monthly)
- HR Induction for Managers - one hour session for new staff who are managers, or existing staff who are new managers (run monthly)
- Unconscious Bias
Questions? Check out the FAQ page, or get in touch with the small and friendly SL&D team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, calling extension 4123 or visiting room 511 (5th floor, College Buildings).