Information for New Staff
Welcome to SOAS!
We hope you are excited about joining this amazing institution, and we look forward to working with you.
From Welcome Orientation sessions for new staff to ongoing development activities such as job shadowing and mentoring, the Staff Learning & Organisational Development team are here to support you throughout your career.
As a new member of staff, the most important things you need to know are:
- You and your manager should use the Induction Checklist for New Staff (msword; 156kb) and the Induction Checklist for Managers (msword; 141kb) as a starting point for helping you settle in.
- You should already have been allocated an Induction Mentor; if you haven’t, speak to your line manager as soon as possible.
- Please ensure you register to undertake mandatory training (listed below) as soon as possible.
- Other important information for new staff is available on the Human Resources New Staff page ansd will be discussed with you in your first day induction meeting with HR, and the welcome email you have from the recruitment team.
Remote Working as a New Staff Member
Your manager and mentor will help you settle into SOAS but other useful information to help you work remotely can be found:
- IT Services
- Remote Working and Your Wellbeing
- Complete a DSE Assessment and return to / discuss with your manager to make sure your home work station is set up optimally.
You are required to attend the below trainings in order to pass probation. Some are available to take any time on the SOAS BLE page and facilitated sessions can be viewed on the Course Calendar. Please sign up through MyView or, if you do not yet have access to this, by emailing email@example.com.
Mandatory training for all staff
- New Staff Orientation: Check Course Calendar for next date; runs termly.
- Equality and Diversity Overview: Click the link to access this course.
- Unconscious Bias: Check Course Calendar for next date; runs monthly.
- Health & Safety Essentials - Modules 1 - 3: Click the link to access this course.
- Data Protection: Check Course Calendar for next date; runs termly. Resources from this course, and other resources on Freedom of Information and copyright, can be found on the Information Compliance BLE page. You can also find out more about Information Security Awareness at any time at the link -just log in with your staff username and password to find out more!
- Prevent: Click the link to access this course.
Mandatory training for specific roles:
- Academic Advisors training (for all Academic Advisors)
- Managing People: SOAS Essentials (for all new staff who are managers, or existing staff who are new managers - find out more on the Information for Managers page)
- Recruitment & Selection (for all staff on interview panels)
- Reseach Supervision (for all staff supervising PhD students who have not yet been a first supervisor)
- Safeguarding Essentials
Other strongly recommended training:
- Race@SOAS - virtual course
- IT Security Awareness - on SOAS BLE
- Inclusive Learning, Teaching and Assessment (for teaching staff) - on SOAS BLE