eLAMP - Emerging Leaders and Managers Programme
The Emerging Leaders and Managers Programme (eLAMP) launched on 18th September 2017 at SOAS. This programme has been developed by the LH Martin Institute, University of Melbourne, and provides accessible and relevant professional development for aspiring and current higher education managers. At a time when the sector is facing increasing external pressures for change, this course provides a facilitated, blended learning leadership programme for emerging managers/leaders.
The programme will enable participants to:
- Develop themselves as self-reflective leaders and gain access to a range of tools to support and develop their teams;
- Gain an understanding of the tertiary education landscape in the UK and in the global context;
- Develop an understanding of the complex internal and external drivers influencing the tertiary sector and learn how to respond appropriately to these drivers;
- Gain insight into the different roles and styles leaders and managers need to adopt to be successful in their roles and develop flexibility across those styles and roles;
- Grasp the nuances of policy and learn how it aligns with strategic intention and how it influences the development of organisational culture.
The course consists of 4 core online modules:
- Managing and Developing Yourself;
- Managing and Developing Others;
- Managing and Developing the Business;
- Understanding the Tertiary Education Landscape.
Each module should take 30 hours +/- arranged over a 10 – 12 week period, so participants will need to allocate 2.5 – 3.5 hours a week to complete each module. Further details about the programme including each module are available on the eLAMP Application Form (msword; 51kb) .
There are additional face to face workshops at key points, assessments after each module and an end of programme group project to complete. Participants should discuss the impact on workload with their line manager prior to applying for a place on the course.
Find out more by watching the presentation available on the SOAS Moodle eLAMP page.
The programme will be delivered in two cohorts each year. Generally, cohort 1 is open to G8-10, Cohort 2 is open to G7 and below, Cohort 3 G7 and below, and Cohort 4 G8-10 (cohorts 5 and 6 will be open to all staff). Participants need to have the endorsement of their line manager, have considered how to amend their workload while taking the course and be committed to developing and enhancing their career. They should be ambitious for a career in the sector and interested in exploring leadership and management as one option for progression.
Cohort 2: January 2018 - February 2019
Face to Face Workshops:
Modules 1 & 2: 21st & 22nd June 2018
Module 3: 23rd October 2018
Module 4: 18th December 2018
Cohort 3: September 2018 - December 2019
Face to Face Workshops:
Module 1: 17th December 2018
Module 2: 15th April 2019
Module 3: 16th July 2019
Module 4: 23rd October 2019
Cohort 4: start date on hold (dates tbc)
Cohort 5: September 2019 - November 2020
Cohort 6: January 2020 - February 2021
Applications for Cohort 4 are being accepted. If you would like to be considered for a place on this programme, read the information to check you can comply with all the conditions and complete the eLAMP Application Form (msword; 51kb) . This should be sent to Serena Yeo (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Staff Learning and Development Office in room 511. All applications will be reviewed by the Registrar.