SOAS University of London

International Students

Police Registration

You might have to register with the Police when you arrive in the UK. If you do, this requirement will be specified on your 30 day vignette (sticker in passport).

Choose from:

If you start in September

The conditions of your visa will say you need to register within 7 days of entry to the UK. This requirement must be met if you make your own arrangements to register with the Police. However, since 2013, the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) have operated an alternative arrangement known as the Interim Process. This allows you to begin the registration process at SOAS. Please see below:-

The process is very simple:

  1. Get a registration application form from the enrolment staff during your enrolment (there’ll be full instructions on the back of the form).
  2. Return the completed form to Registry (we’ve given office hours on the form), together with the necessary photos, plus your passport and visa.
  3. We’ll copy the relevant documents, giving you an official receipt letter and your passport and visa.
  4. We’ll then send off your original application and copies of your passport and visa to the Police. We do this in weekly batches during the police registration period.
  5. You can then take your receipt letter, your registration fee, your passport and your visa to the designated Police Station within the time period stated in the letter. They’ll then give you your Police Registration Certificate.

If you start in January

If your programme starts in January, you’ll need to complete your police registration independently. Read more on the Metropolitan Police website or email Registry if you need to speak to someone.

Changes to your personal details

If your details change, you must let both SOAS and UKVI know about it.

You can let UKVI know online but you might have to send in documents in some circumstances. Please make sure you get in touch directly with UKVI. We won’t be able to do it for you.

If you have a police registration condition on your visa, you must also let the Police know of certain changes in your details. Please see the Metropolitan Police website for more details.