You might have to register with the Police when you arrive in the UK – if you do, this requirement will be specified on your entry vignette, your BRP or your decision letter from UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI). If we notice this at enrolment, we’ll check you’ve done everything you need to.
The conditions of your visa will say you need to register within 7 days of entry to the UK. This requirement must be met if you make your own arrangements to register with the Police. However, since 2013, the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) have operated an alternative arrangement known as the Interim Process. This should hopefully make the process easier for you and a guide to the steps of the process can be found below.
The process is very simple:
- Get a registration application form from the enrolment staff during your enrolment (there’ll be full instructions on the back of the form).
- Return the completed form to Registry (we’ve given office hours on the form), together with the necessary photos, plus your passport and visa.
- We’ll copy the relevant documents, giving you an official receipt letter and your passport and visa.
- We’ll then send off your original application and copies of your passport and visa to the Police. We do this in weekly batches during the police registration period.
- You can then take your receipt letter, your registration fee, your passport and your visa to the designated Police Station within the time period stated in the letter. They’ll then give you your Police Registration Certificate.
You can let UKVI know online but you might have to send in documents in some circumstances. Please make sure you get in touch directly with UKVI – we won’t be able to do it for you.
If you have a police registration requirement on your visa, you must also let the Police know of certain changes in your details – you can do this at any police station within eight days of the change. You’ll need to take your Police Registration Certificate with you.
Read more in our Information for International Students (pdf; 272kb)