SOAS Student Ambassador Scheme
Every undergraduate, postgraduate taught (Masters) and postgraduate research student is invited to become a SOAS Student Ambassador. Our ambassadors are fun, passionate, confident, reliable and enthusiastic. They love their chosen programme of study, get involved with student life at SOAS and want to make the most of their study experience.
There are two separate strands to the scheme as explained below. Students can choose to become either one or both types of ambassadors.
1 – General Student Ambassadors
General Student Ambassadors provide support to recruitment, administrative and logistical initiatives at SOAS. It is a diverse role, which can include showing prospective students around SOAS, working at large public facing events, answering queries in person, over phone or on email, supporting administrative departments with tasks like data entry, front desk cover or mailings.
Please look at the General Student Ambassador Job Description and Person Specification for more information.
To apply to become an General Student Ambassador, please submit a video application by email to email@example.com by 5pm on Thursday 13 October 2017. The content of your video should conform to the guidelines set out below:
· Introduce yourself and your programme
· Why would you like to be a student ambassador?
· What to you is the best thing about SOAS?
· What one piece of advice would you give someone thinking about coming to SOAS?
Make sure the video is no longer than 60 seconds.
If you have any questions, please contact Tom White at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)20 7898 4933.
Please note that the closing date for this strand is Sunday, 8 October 2017.
2 – Outreach Student Ambassadors
Outreach Student Ambassadors support the Widening Participation team in providing opportunities for students from disadvantaged backgrounds to gain further insight into higher education. Shared experiences with the young people we work with (who attend state schools, and may face barriers progressing through education) are particularly useful for those working as Outreach Student Ambassadors.
Please look at the Outreach Student Ambassador Job Description and Person Specification for more information.
To apply to become an Outreach Student Ambassador, please complete the Outreach Student Ambassador Application Form and either return it by email to email@example.com or drop it off in room RG01.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)20 7898 4551.
Please note that the closing date for this strand is Friday 13 October 2017.
- All ambassador work is paid at £10 per hour.
- All payments are made once a month through BACS transfer on the last working day of the month.
- All ambassadors must be currently registered students at SOAS.
- All ambassadors will be provided comprehensive training for the various tasks.
- All ambassadors will have to show their eligibility to work in the UK when employed.
- All ambassador work is flexible and will provide an opportunity to work around your academic timetable. This means that the work is ad-hoc and we cannot guarantee the number of hours you work each week.
- All work is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Benefits of Becoming a Student Ambassador
As a SOAS Student Ambassador, you will form a part of a social networking and an active community of students. In addition to monetary payment for your work, you will also receive the following benefits:
- A range of transferable skills including public speaking skills, presentation skills, communication skills, organisational skills, time management skills, confidence and the ability to multi-task.
- A range of opportunities to meet with like-minded people and develop social and professional networking skills.
- References for future employment
Information for SOAS Staff
SOAS departments and faculties are now able to use the help of student ambassadors for their events and initiatives. If you are interested in finding out more about how your department can work with ambassadors, please email Tom White - email@example.com.