SOAS Student Ambassador Scheme
Every undergraduate, postgraduate taught (Masters) and postgraduate research student is invited to become a SOAS Student Ambassador! Our ambassadors are fun, passionate, confident, reliable and enthusiastic. They love their chosen programme of study, get involved with student life at SOAS and want to make the most of their University experience whilst enjoying flexible, paid work.
Student ambassadors at SOAS have a diverse role, which typically includes: showing prospective students around SOAS during campus tours; working at large public events; answering questions about student life and SOAS courses; supporting administrative departments and working with schools to inspire young people. Most of these duties are being carried out virtually as we comply with the regulations in place due to COVID-19.
In addition, ambassadors who fulfil certain criteria, have the opportunity to participate in two specialist schemes, Outreach and Capital L, which are designed to improve access and participation in higher education and promote language studies.
Student Ambassador (Outreach)
Student Ambassadors working with Outreach also support the Access, Participation and Student Success team in providing opportunities for students from disadvantaged backgrounds to gain further insight into higher education and provide information and motivation to school/college students.
Visit the Access, Participation and Student Success website for more information on the scheme.
Student Ambassador (Capital L)
Student Ambassadors working with Capital L, will also be part of a network of students from partner HE institutions that provide information and motivation to school/college students, offering them insights into the world of higher education and language learning and encouraging them to begin or continue pursuing foreign language studies.
Visit the Routes into Languages website for more information on the scheme.
Benefits of becoming a Student Ambassador
As a SOAS Student Ambassador, you will become part of a social network and active community of students. In addition to monetary payment for your work, you will also receive the following benefits:
- A range of transferable skills including public speaking skills, presentation skills, communication skills, organisational skills, time management skills, confidence and the ability to multitask.
- A range of extra-curricular opportunities to meet with like-minded people and develop social and professional networking skills.
- References for future employment.
- All ambassador work is paid at £10.94 per hour.
- All payments are made once a month through BACS transfer on the last working day of the month.
- All ambassadors must be currently registered students at SOAS, excluding ambassadors from partner institutions supporting Capital L.
- All ambassadors will be provided with comprehensive training for the various tasks.
- All ambassadors will have to show their eligibility to work in the UK when employed.
- All ambassador work is flexible and will provide an opportunity to work around your academic timetable. This means that the work is ad-hoc and we cannot guarantee the number of hours you work each week.
How to apply
Please review the Student Ambassador Job Description and Person Specification for more details.
To apply, please complete the SOAS Student Ambassador Scheme Application Form. The closing date for receipt of applications is 23:59 Tuesday 24 November 2020. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- SOAS Student Ambassador Scheme
Access, Participation and Student Success
Information for SOAS Staff
SOAS departments and faculties can book SOAS student ambassadors to support their events and initiatives. If you would like to find out more about how your department can work with ambassadors, please visit the SOAS Student Ambassador Scheme on MySOAS, which also outlines the booking process. If you have any questions, please email the SOAS Student Ambassador Scheme on firstname.lastname@example.org.