Information Room (SL62)
The Information Room (SL62) contains a wide ranging collection of careers related books, resources, take away handouts and directories about how to write CVs and applications, how to prepare for interviews and psychometric tests, and on SOAS specific sectors and working internationally.
To view the books we hold within the careers library, please browse our online catalogue – some of these are available to borrow for a week with a £10 deposit.
We have a section on MySOAS Student dedicated to careers information and resources for current students. This includes information on job hunting, postgraduate study and funding, sectors and degree information, virtual events recordings, and working outside the UK. This is available to current students and staff. If you are a graduate of SOAS and wish to access information on MySOAS Student, please contact SOAS Careers on 020 7898 4115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We subscribe to a number of online resources
- Career Discovery feed on CareersZONE - the content shown is based on your preferences, activity and what others with similar interests and behaviours to you are viewing. The more you engage with Career Discovery, the better it becomes at understanding your interests and highlighting new content relevant to you. It also highlights content that is trending at university and national level meaning you won’t miss out on the latest news and hot topics.
- Graduates First - offers approximately 50 online practice aptitude tests, including verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, logical reasoning, situational judgement, Watson Glacer, an A.I. based video interview, and gamified assessments. Just register with your SOAS email address. If you are a graduate, please email us at email@example.com and we will help you to register.
- interviewing.com - online interview simulator. You may want to practice by recording yourself answering typical interview questions from a bank of hundreds available via interviewing.com, an online interview simulator. This is a valuable way of assessing where your strengths and weaknesses lie, and for practicing your answers before the real thing. There's a selection of pre-recorded interview questions as well as some example full interviews for users to practice with. Register at the magenta “SIGN UP NOW” button, and select SOAS from the drop down menu.
- GoinGlobal - database of overseas opportunities and information. Current students can access GoinGlobal via MySOAS Student. Graduates can access GoinGlobal via the Resources on CareersZONE.
- Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding Online - a web resource for current and prospective postgraduate students (any subject, any nationality) who are looking to fund PhD, Masters, and PGCE study in the UK through grants from charities, trusts, and foundations.
Current students can access the guide via clicking on the green box option 1, enter your @soas.ac.uk email address and click 'Go'. You will then be sent a username and password, which you use via the blue box option 1. If you are on campus, you can access the Guide automatically via blue box option 1. If you are graduate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a PIN.
- Workfinder (on CareersZONE) - a free platform that connects young people to the UK’s exciting growth companies to deliver high impact work placements. Work placements are a great way to develop key employability skills, discover new career paths and give your CV a boost.
- The Pay Index (on CareersZONE) - use the Pay Index's interactive tools and reports to help you take your first steps into the workplace. The Pay Index's My Future report help students understand what a fair job offer is and what your pay expectations should be. The cost-of-living report will help you compare and calculate your pay in different locations. The My First Job Offer report for alumni and working professions helps you understand your market-worth in different job roles and functions around the globe. Please note that SOAS Careers does not recommend any services students or graduates have to pay for. Students can access X 1 My Future Report, and Alumni can access X 2 TPI professional reports for free.
- CareerSet - this is an online tool that uses AI to check content and provides you with targeted suggestions to ensure you make your CV as effective as possible.
For more information, if you are a current student please contact us via SID or visit MySOAS Student. If you are a graduate, please contact email@example.com.