How to apply (ODL)

Supporting documents for ODL applications

The application form for Online and Distance Learning (ODL) programmes can be found on each of the relevant programme webpages. Applicants will be required to provide the following supporting documentation (once they have received a conditional offer), and all documentation should be sent to the email address given on the Conditional Offer letter. Please give the following evidence:

  1. Copy of an identification document
  2. Degree certificates or transcripts
  3. English language proficiency (if first qualification was not taught in English)

Details about the acceptable forms of this evidence are listed below along with information if you need to get your documents verified.

Please make sure that we receive your evidence in plenty of time before the application deadline. We reserve the right to request additional information and/or the original documents.

Please note: if a document/statement is not in English, a translation may be required. 

We cannot obtain any of the above documents on your behalf.

Identification document

Copy of an identification document

Please submit electronic or photocopied evidence of your full name (including any changes to your name) and date of birth – this must be one of the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • National identification card
  • Aliens registration certificate
  • UK driving licence

If you have changed your name please supply one of the following to support your change of name:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Deed poll
  • Statutory declaration
  • Affidavit

Submission details: electronic copies (scanned/photographed) or photocopies of originals will be accepted. Do not provide originals.

Certificates and transcripts

Degree certificates or transcripts

Please send original colour scans of the required certificates and transcripts via email. We don't accept black-and-white photocopies (unless certified by the awarding institution) and may ask for originals or verified copies if needed.

We require documentation confirming the award of all qualifications listed in your application, which can either be your certificate or academic transcript. This must show: the name of the university, programme studied and the grade/classification you attained. If your university cannot issue official documents in English, we will require a certified translation in English of your degree certificate/transcript.

Language proficiency

English language proficiency

You may need to submit evidence of your English language proficiency. See distance learning English language requirements for more detail on the qualifications and scores which can be accepted.

Submission details: electronic copies (scanned/photographed) or photocopies of originals will be accepted. Do not provide originals.

If verification of your documents is required

Verification means that your original document has been seen and the photocopy has been sworn to be a true copy of the original. All verified copies must be officially stamped, signed and dated by the named authority. Verifications should be made on the front of the certificate and not the back. They must also state their full name, job title/position and contact details.

There are three ways to verify your documents:

  1. You can submit photocopies of your original educational documents provided these are verified as a true copy of the original by one of the following authorities:
    • Barrister
    • British Council
    • British Consulate
    • British Embassy
    • British High Commission
    • Commissioner of Oaths
    • Court Registrar or Clerk
    • Foreign Embassies
    • Justice of the Peace
    • Ministry of Education
    • Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Foreign embassies
    • Notary Public
    • Solicitor
    • South African Police Force
  2. You can submit photocopies of your original educational documents provided they have been verified as a true copy of the original by one of our recognised teaching institutions. Please contact the institution first to see if they can provide this service before you visit them.
  3. Contact the relevant awarding/examining authority and arrange for them to send direct to us a statement/transcript of your results. Details must clearly give your name, date of birth and University of London student reference number if available.

Do not send original documents - these will not be accepted.  If none of the three options above are available, please contact the relevant admissions team for further advice.


If a document/statement is not in English a translation may be required. Translations must be provided by one of the following:

  • an official at an embassy
  • consulate
  • a recognised translator

An embossed stamp or similar mark of authority must be on the translation.

All translated documents must be accompanied by full details of:

  • translator's name
  • postal address
  • email address
  • telephone number

We will make spot checks to confirm that this work has been carried out by the named authority.